Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Solutions?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cryptobiotic, Jul 8, 2003.

1. cryptobiotic

cryptobiotic Registered Member

I am planning on doing all the body work for my Blaze, but i am wondering what i should do with my tailgate, this is not my daily driver and I live in Utah so it does snow...The tailgate as it stands now is rusty as hell has a dent in it and it needs replacing. I am just wondering what other solutions do I have besides getting a k5 tailgate? I plan on getting a softtop do those stand up well enough that I could use one permanantly? so I could get a new tailgate and just have the latch in there and no window or guts? or is there something else anyone knows about, like a company that makes alternative tailgate solutions I could try using like one that opens in the middle and is 2 doors that actually swing out? I am just trying to get some ideas here, I really don't need the rear window because it is not my daily driver and I will have a softtop...any suggestions??? /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Do a search on tailgate swap or truck tailgate. Several people on here have swapped a truck tailgate into their K5's it looks pretty good. It'll save you a lot of weight too. I'm not sure how difficult it is to do the swap though. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Swapping to a pickup tailgate is fairly easy. Unbolt all the old hardware, and remove those pesky helper springs from the frame. When you find your pickup tailgate, make sure to get all the hardware off that truck, including the pivots at the bottom (there is a change in diameter, but can't remember the year break) and the catch/strap assembly at the top. All the holes / cage nuts are already in your K5. I have some pics of the swap in the link below. Feel free to ask questions if you have any! As far as the split tailgate that would open from the center, Grim-Reaper here has made his own that is very /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif. There is a company out there that makes the split tailgate for pickups, i just can't seem to find it anymore.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you get rid of your old tailgate, I'd be interested in buying your old helper springs and some of the associated brackets and stuff. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I sold the tailgate itself, but I do have the springs and some other hardware left. Shoot me a PM with what you need, and I'll check my garage.