Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate spring

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by trogdor4x4, Feb 10, 2004.

1. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

Has anyone taken out the springs in the tailgate? Mine are messed up and are making it harder to shut than it should be. What effect does it have on the tailgate, if anything? Would it be okay if I removed them? I don't think it will be a big deal, but you never. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The tailgate is HEAVY without them.

Don't expect an old man or a kid to be able to control it when it is opened. For most it probably won't be a problem, but it's amazing how much difference those springs make. I ran around without them for a couple of years, but put them on the K5 I have now, and man, is it easy to open and shut.

3. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Has anyone taken out the springs in the tailgate? Mine are messed up and are making it harder to shut than it should be. What effect does it have on the tailgate, if anything? Would it be okay if I removed them? I don't think it will be a big deal, but you never. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine are off because of the aftermarket bumper and the frame shortening for it. The tailgate is pretty heavy without them, but not that big a deal. You will not be grabbing something out with one hand and closing the tailgate with the other though (unless you are stronger than me by quite a bit).

If anyone knows an alternative way of getting some lift assist, let me know!

4. mccomas

mccomas 1/2 ton status

took mine off as well - 1 inch body lift and fabbed bumper.. the gate is now a two handed operation but no bigee...

5. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Mine are off as well for the time being. I can close the tailgate without any problems. been so long now without them I don't remember how easy it was with them. I'm 5'5". And a girl. So can't be that tough to deal with...

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I didnt think it was too bad. When I went to the soft top, I removed the glass and all of the guts. Then it got much lighter.