Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate story

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by CrazeeBush, Jun 8, 2000.

1. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

After 15 billion calls over 18 million years to all the local and not so local junk yards I finally found a tailgate in a above average condition. I went and picked it up only to find more rust than I had intended.grrrrrrrrr. Anyway, the shell is better than mine and between the 2 gates I should eb able to piece together a good one. And then make the other one work to sell for dirt cheap and recover some money. BTW has anyone tried that glass polishing stuff from JC Whitney, the glass has a few scratches that I'd like to "buff" out.

-JoSH

2. Neko H

Neko H Registered Member

Speaking of JCW they have a tailgates for78-91 blazer & Jimmy for $199.00. They also sell a lower tailgate panel & rear bed panel for repairs for $23.00 each.

This might help in your repair process.

Neko H
    79 GMC Jimmy 4x4
    (If I'd only win the Lottery, it would be Cherry)

3. CrazeeBush

I decided not to get the brand new one b/c I figured I could find a better deal at a junkyard. The more I tear into this tailgate, the more frustrated I get. I keep finding little things that bug the crap out of me. I'm almost wishing I had just dropped more money to buy the brand new one and save myself the hassle. Anyway, it's almost prepped to be painted and I should be able to sell the other working one for a wee bit of cash. It's nothing to look at, but it works. I wonder why Blazer tailgates are notorious for cracking at the top corners? This one was hastily slopped back together and bondo'd over. I had to grind out all of that crap and I welded it back together then filled the weld with bondo to make it smooth. This painting project is slowly eating away at my wallet. Grrrrrrrr. Time it's all said and done with, I'll have an ultra smooth body and no $$$ for paint...

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

4. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

I really don't understand the Blazer tailgate thing? I thing that Chevy built a tough rig then said "now lets give people a weak link to bi**h about for years"
    I want to save up the money to buy an entire new tailgate, with all new working parts then before assembling anything I want to paint all of the metal parts in POR15 and somehow reinforce the top corners. That should get me a tailgate that'll outlast the rest of the rig [​IMG]
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

5. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Been there done that...so i replaced the whole darn thing with new GM....and after last week i can say that i have replaced everything in the gate...period. I have a used power regulator that needs a bath and one wheel i'll sell fairly cheap...and if your nice i'll replace the wheel and run it thru our parts washer down at the shop.

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

6. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

funny thing tailgates, you think youve got it all done nice and they rattle again. i am thinking of installing gussets on the inside to just reinforce it, when it vibrates it prematurly wears out the latches, locks....etc.

Knife.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Crazee, they tell me any scratch you can feel with your fingernail is there for good. The smaller ones "may" buff out. Eastwood sells some polishing stuff also......might be better than J.C. Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I replaced mine new gate alot of new hardware and I've just decided to not open it as much, hey with my new soft top it's easy to get into

CHICK'S DIG THE FULL TOPPER!!!

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

The corners are broke on mine as well, i looked at it, it seems that there is a hard block of plastic on top of the corner that continually comes in contact with the topper.
    The constant moving up and down causes the break in the corners. I wonder if the hard plastic piece could be replaced with a rubber piece to give it more elasticity and relief the stress on the corners...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

10. CrazeeBush

Gonna put some foam padding under mine I believe. I ran the fingernail across teh glass and it didn't hang but in a couple of spots. I might buy some polishing compund and see what it'll do, can't hurt to try?

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

11. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

OK, mine doen't rattle but can't get dang thing to open. Seems stuck on right side. Any suggestions.

12. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Mine stuck until I took the time to take it all apart. (just replace the hinges