Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TAILGATE STUCK

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wheelnut46, May 1, 2002.

1. wheelnut46

wheelnut46 1/2 ton status

My tailgate is stuck closed. It looks like there are shims positioning the thing that the latch contacts but on one side the shims must have fallen off and dropped.
    I don’t want to break the window – how can I open the tailgate to re-align it without pounding it?

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    Can you roll down the window?If yes then remove the inner tailgate cover and pull the rods to open the tailgate.If you can not roll down the window, you can remove the hardtop(carefully) and then remove the inner cover and pull the rods to open and repair the shims(if that is the problem.)

3. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You be able to take the tailgate panel off and get to the latch from there maybe ...mike

4. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

Does the window roll down? I know that on mine ( 74 K5 ) there is a latch that wont let you open the tail gate if the window is up. If that is not being pushed down the tail gate wont open. you should be able to take the plate off from the inside and see if the rod is working right or If it bounced out of place.

5. wheelnut46

The window goes up and down. When looking in at the sides where the latches go the driver’s side was not latched but the passenger side was. It seems to have cocked or something but the window works great so it can’t be cocked too badly. I will try to look at it this weekend. Do those latches slide in and out when the handle is lifted? Is that how they work?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I think the latches are fairly similar to the door strikers, just mounted differently. They are spring loaded and "snap" back when the handle is pulled. Or they are at least supposed to : )

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

your right... I just rebuilt my tail gate. the latchs snap back when the handle is pulled. and the strike pins ( the U shaped things hooked to the body )should have some shims.
    Is the door shut flush with the body?

8. wheelnut46

Finally found the time to fix the tailgate. As much as I tried to pry the little fingers of the latch it would not budge. I had to remove the cover and pull the rod and presto - it opened like it was supposed to.
    The clip that holds the rod in place is long since gone so I popped one of those crappy sheet metal nuts (?) on the rod with a carter pin and will hope that it stays put. If not I see that a hardware store deadbolt type latch will wotk in its absence. Thanks for all the advice.