Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate support cables

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Aug 18, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Does anyone have the parts and tools needed to make the wire ropes that hold up the tailgate, like on my 83? It looks like the eyelet cable ends are kinda rare around here, and the swaging tool is pretty pricey. The ones I have are still functional, but the tailgate is a gnats butt from hitting my custom bumper, so I'd like to make some new cables that are maybe half an inch shorter to give me some margin.

If someone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it, and would obviously pay for the parts plus a little for your time. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I tried to use just a standard wire rope end, like where it loops back on itself, but the swage thingy turned out to be too fat and was hitting the body panel. Plus the cable itself was too fat and was getting squished when I tightened stuff up.

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

NAPA has cables to fit our rigs and various lengths with eyelets too. May be easier to check them out then try to build 'em. There is a cable company in Los Angeles that can make whatever you want, reasonably priced with fast turnaround times. Check it out: Control Cables Inc., 9816 Alburtis Ave, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 Phone: (562) 949-0455

3. BXwildshot

BXwildshot Registered Member

Ebay has em for 18 dollars plus shipping.

4. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Ebay has em for 18 dollars plus shipping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Half inch shorter than factory? That's the thing I need.

The ones I got from LMC are longer than factory by a quarter to half inch, making my problem worse. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif