Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Tech...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5 NUTT, May 27, 2000.

1. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    Since many people in the last year have posted their how to fix slow gate window problems i thought i'd share my recent adventure with my tailgate and hopefully help every one out. Tore it apart at work to replace the key switch a s i broke my key off in the darn thing last week..another story though. While i was in there i thought i'd grease every thing up as most people don't and suffer regulater wheel breakage as a result...well my whole tailgate with the exception of the regulator and the regulator transmission is brandy new..okay a year old. Whilst poking around i had the bright idea to remove the transmission and check it out...however when i reinstalled the bugger the window was real slow and would hardly move...dohh...what to do? The trans is hooked to the cable from the motor and simply spins around to make the window go up and down...but its like setting up a rear end when you install it...if you tighten the 3 bolts to tight and its not adjusted properly it will ineffect tighten the gear lash so tight the window will not budge! So grease everything up....remove the cable from the motor and loosen those 3 bolts on the trans...now twist the cable with your fingers and slowly tighten a couple of bolts...as long as the window will still move with your fingers spinning the cable as you tighten the 3 bolts you are on the right track...if it stops moving loosen the 3 bolts until it frees up and jiggle the trans around until it frees up and try again. When i got home i had to do this all over as one of my wheels on the regulator broke off...and since i used my stock of regulator wheels i just replaced the whole regulator with a brandy new one i got off an EBAY auction for $9.95...hehehe. It took several hit or miss attempts to get the trans gear lash just right but it sure payed off! Now my rrear window shots up and down like a rocket...well not that fast but it does move 100% faster than it ever has before!!! So i hope this info will help out those of you trying to figure out how to improve yours!!!

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban
  2. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Feb 19, 2000
    You are the one that got me through my first tailgate-jobb. After I had done that I was ready for more and it just kept snowballing. Now I feel comfortable around tools and doing my own fixin.. It started with that tailgate back in August 99. You should do a series in the tech section.
    Check private if you see this right away Dough.

<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>