Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate tire carrier?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Mar 19, 2005.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wonder if I could carry a 33 or 35 spare on my tailgate? It's a P/U tailgate I put on the Blazer.

2. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

i seen people put 40's on them

3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I didn't want one of the bumper mounts and need the behind back seat storage. Might do that then. Wanted input before drilling holes in a good tailgate though.

4. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

If you talking about the tailgate itself. I don't think it would hold up much at all. It's only sheetmetal and it would either rip out or just bend to all hell. Get yourself a bumper mount or hitch mount.

6. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I second esteban......get a good quality bumper mount.....or make it an excuse to get a new bumper wiht swing out tire carrier :)

And even if you did mount it to the tailgate, how would you open the tailgate then?

7. rocknutah

rocknutah Registered Member

If your dead set against a bumper mount try fabricating a bedcap style plate running from top to bottom, allowing clearance for the gate to open.
    you might want to run a plate out at a 90 degree angle to the face of the gate, to help support the weight of the tire & wheel, along with what ever you use to hold the tire to the gate. Make sure the lower support is high enough to clear the bumper (if you have one) when the gate is down. I would probably consider running plate end to end, build a heavier hinge & latch set up, with safety cables, just in case. Like they said it's only sheet metal. Thats alot of extra weight for the hardware to support. It would probably be easier & lighter to fabricate one from scratch. As for access to the handle, Ferrari used rope on their windows. It seem a lot more at home in a K5. Rope lift for tailgate glass, or side glass seems a pretty easy fix for a regulator you can't afford.