Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate to barn doors swap on burb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jan 19, 2002.

is it possible to swap on barn doors to a burb that has the tail gate? mine is a 75 if that matters.

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I cant swear to this but I was told that it can be done. To me I would look for the threaded inserts for the hinges, and latches. The top where the glass slides into will need to be removed. On the Blazers and Jimmys the inserts are there to install a P/U gate in place of the big heavy one w/ the glass in it, It would only make sense that GM would build it to go either way since they came w/ the gate and barn doors.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

They will all the mounts are there but there was a design change..I just don't recall when.
    BTW I have a 78 with barn doors if you are looking[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. how much?

<font color=blue> Experience enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

</font color=blue>

4. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

The bolt holes are behind round covers. Just uncover and find a pair of doors. Don't forget to get all the weatherstripping. I believe the design changed in '81-so all subs before that can be swapped after-not so easy. steve

5. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of making this swap on my '73 Suburban. Everything said so far is correct. The one fly in the ointment is that you need to change the lower sill assy (GM #15606605 - ~$200).

The lower sill assy for the tailgate has two holes in it to accomodate the tailgate hinges. But, the sill assy for the barn doors eliminates those holes and includes the recessed area in the center to accomodate the lower-center latches for the barn doors.

This piece (I may be able to post some photos, if you like) is actually the whole rear crossmember that includes the mountings for the rearmost body mounts. To replace it, you need to unbolt all the floorpan bolts at the rear of the body, the rear body mount bolts, and (working from memory, here) about 12 others that are in the corners of the sill that you reach from under the truck. They are the ones that attach the sill to the rear quarter-panels of the body.

Other than the sill replacement, I just picked up some barn doors from a local wrecking yard and just made sure that they included all the hardware: latch bars, limiting straps, doorjam connectors for the heated windows/power door locks, hinges w/bolts, etc, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.[​IMG] Just let me know if you want more info.

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>