Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate torque rod---YES or NO??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 88K5Jimmy, May 19, 2002.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am making a rear bumper and was wondering if I could do away with the tailgate tork rod. Its the rod that runs down below the bumper and "hooks" over a bolt. Has anybody taken theirs off and is there any notible difference and long term affects??

Thanks
    Ross

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Leave it on. That gate weighs quite a bit, and you dont realize how much it helps till its gone.

3. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I twisted my blazer up really ggod one trip and tweaked the rod so I HAD to remove it. Unless your a big guy keep it on! Tail gates are freakin heavy.

4. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

Leave it on and your (is there any notable difference and long term affects??) Yes my back is feeling much better thank you

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I cut mine off and I don't think it is THAT heavy. It is noticable.

I guess it is because I am such a stacked guy ;-) I wish, but hopefully lifting the tailgate will help.

6. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

I just finished replacing my entire tailgate with all new parts. Mine has two torque rods and I'm glad it does. The tailgate weights a lot. I just threw away two rusted tailgates and almost got a hernia lifting them up into a trash bin (I won't say where).

There are some bolts in each side of the tailgate that hold a bracket around the rods. If these brackets are not bolted, you will hear a loud pop each time you open and close the tailgate. Why do you want to remove this? You can leave them on with a new bumper.

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

ok... Do you have any hints? (since you just put yours on) Whats the best way to go about hooking them up?

8. DaveCowley

DaveCowley 1/2 ton status

I recently made a custom bumper for my 88 K5 and cut the torque rod off and ya the gate is heavy but I don't have any trouble lifting it and I only weigh 135 lbs so if these guys can't do it maybe they are a little weak. Other than that I can't really tell you if there are any long term effects but mine is fine and it has been that way for over 3 months.

9. efilnikufecin

efilnikufecin 1/2 ton status

i also chop mine off when i built new bumpers.granted it's heavy but you don't have to be mr.olympus to lift it.i'm 5'8" and 145lbs and don't have any trouble with it.it just takes a bit more ass to shut it

10. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I took mine off the white Blazer and never had a problem (6'4" and 275 lbs) but the wife (dwarf) had a little trouble getting the leverage to close it easily. It is funny with the red stocker K5 though, I'm constantly giving it the same "oomph" and end up slamming the gate.

11. CooknwithGas

CooknwithGas 1/2 ton status

It's not that hard to hook them up if you understand how they work. You have to hook them over the knob-like bolt that's on the frame. You have to clamp them to the outside of the tailgate and there is the all-important bracket inside of the tailgate.

Honestly after reading some of the other posts, I'm tempted to remove them. The gate is really heavy, but the two cables keep it from falling too far! Mine still make somewhat of a popping sound when I open and close it cause the rods are a little bent.

I would suggest trying it without the rods for a while. Removing them can be tricky - I did that recently too. I understand the some guys cut them off with a torch. I don't have a torch, so I'll just un-bolt mine and slide them out if I decide to do this.

Let me know how it comes out.