Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Torque/Torsion Rods

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kim tate, Mar 10, 2000.

1. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Are the torsion rods for the tailgate really necessary? If so, can a dozen of you be at my house next weekend to reinstall?!!

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Yes they are necessary...the keep the tailgate from going into your bumper...if you look behind the rear bumper you will see where they attach to the frame...they have eyelets that go around a bolt that is allmost identical to your door strikers. Those will have to come off to remove the gate...also if your gate squeeks when being let down the torque rod silencers need to be replaced...they are held to the gate with brakets towards the cargo area...basically they are plastic sleeves...tried to WD-40 mine but to no evail so i replaced them when i rebuilt the gate from scratch. Hope this helps!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

3. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

No, they are not necessary, I have not had them in mine since I got it. They help you pick the gate back up, thats all they do. The cables on the sides of the gate are what keeps your tailgate from hitting the bumper, the rods dont hold up anything. Mine were cut when I got it because they would not work with the bumper that was on it. I took them off and put the bolts back. My gate is at a good level for me, so I can kinda get under it and its not hard to close at all. Once you get used to it, you like not having the squeaking and aggravation.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

4. Crash90K5

Crash90K5 Registered Member

I cut mine, cuz I wanted my KMA tight to the body, and they were in the way. Like Dep said, if yer rig is lifted, it's easy to get underneath it and push up without them, but you can really tell the difference!. If you're at stock height... well, you'll get a good bicep workout!

[​IMG] <font color=blue>Crash90K5</font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. kim tate

kim tate 1/2 ton status

Thanks Glenn, the tailgate is back on without the torsion rods. Now if I could just locate a used tailgate handle!