Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Troubles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Peeetah, Jul 25, 2000.

1. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Trying to get ride of the rattles in the back of the Jimmy. I definantly hear something comming from the tail gate but I feel nothing loose. However when the back window is down and the tailgate is up there is alittle play in the tailgate. Mabey 1/8 and inch or so, and it takes a bit of work to jiggle it but it does move a bit. Could this be my problem? Is this little bit of movement normal for my tailgate. How do i fix it. Appreciate any insights.

thanks

Peter Schneider
    81 jimmy

2. USMuscle

USMuscle Registered Member

Two possible solutions...
    1) Your rear window regulator assembly is loose. You need to take apart the tailgate and tighten any loose screws. Also grease up the rails and gears while you've got them exposed.
    2) The play is probably caused by a worn latch mechanism on the tailgate. After years of pressure, metal can bend a bit and cause parts to go out of alignment. Again, take the tailgate apart and look to see if anything is bent with the tailgate latch. I would go to pick and pull to see if you can get one from a newer K5.
    These links may help...
    http://coloradok5.com/rustytailgatehinge.shtml
    http://www.alldata.com/TSB/11/81112204.html

-Dave

3. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

an 1/8" of play is normal in the tail gate, i had a noise in the rear of my truck thought it was the gate too turned out to be the spare tire rattling

4. Heath-La. 89GMC

Heath-La. 89GMC 1/2 ton status

my gate rattles so bad i want to shoot it sometimes. For 2 years I havent been able to track down those noises. Its become a regular weekend event for me. Trying to find them. If you find the solution let me know. I know how ANNOYING this can be.

5. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Mine rattles too. I wrapped each of the 2 knobs that stick out of each side, where the latches hold on, with electrical tape. Put a little grease over the tape to slow down wear and tear on the tape. You will still have to replace the tape quite regularly, depending on how much you open and close your tail gait. And I know this is kind of a "rigged" temperary fix, but it helped me, for now.
    There are still some rattles, but not near as bad.

6. Peeetah

Peeetah Registered Member

Gonna Try New Weatherstrip

Hope that will help a little. I'm redoing my shell to and I am using GM weatherstripping. Anyway I got the pieces today and one of the side strips was all indented in one area. The people at my chevy dealership asked no questions and are giving me a new one. Damn right! that thing was 50 bucks. I know, I know, LMC sells them for 30 bucks but I want the pieces to actually fit on the shell.

Peter Schneider
    81 Jimmy

7. **b**

**b** 1/2 ton status

Just CRANK the radio....
    Works 4 me ... [​IMG]