Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Weather Strippin

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by daleearnhardt01, Oct 27, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Went to get somethin out the back of the Jimmy today and the carpet in the back was all wet. It was wet from bedside to bedside. Think its the weatherstrippin that seals the glass and top?

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

If you have slider windows it may be leaking there. Those things leak like crazy when the seals get old. I swapped to solid windows because I was so tired of leaks.

3. daleearnhardt01

Oh man I was hopin nobody would say that. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif But I dont know though, its more wet in the corner back behind the spare tire thing on both sides and its wet all the way across towards the tailgate.

4. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

If its just the side windows, you can use silicon to glue them shut. The glue stays flexible, and it comes off with a scraper if you decide to open them one day. If its the tailgate, you should replace the window seal. LMC truck has them.

5. daleearnhardt01

Alright anybody got a LMC catalog around? Im looking at page 13. Looks like Id need 17 and 19 right? Is 18 reusable?Anybody know if those prices are for both or one side? I guess Id get the tailgate seal too. Anybody know what it involves for puttin the side seals in?

6. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Don't get part 17 or 18 unless they are cracked or rotting. Mine were in great shape and I reused them. What usually leaks is the channel that the glass slides in. There's a felt rubber gasket in the channel. When it rains, the water fills up in that channel, seeps through to the inside, and then overflows inside the truck. It's usually worse when you park on an incline. Take the hose out and see if that's what is leaking.

Before I replaced my windows, I put the new window channel seals in from LMC (part 36-6196, pg 13, not pictured) and the leaks got worse because the LMC seals didn't fit tight up against the sliding glass. There was a gap and it let more water seep in down the channel between the window and seal. Part 19 is the seal that goes around the stationary piece of glass on the window. I doubt that is leaking. And it would suck to replace those because you have to take the window frame apart somehow. Anyways, good luck with it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif