Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Weatherstrip

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Oct 15, 2002.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

I just put brand new weatherstrippin on the tailgate tonight at work(inner and outer) and now the window is slow as I expected it would be. Any good suggestions to get the glass moving good again or should I just let the rubber get broke in good? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I got the LMC one, and mine is slow too now. I'm guessing the seal just needs some use to get into shape.

My window wasn't all that "powerful" in the first place, only thing I haven't done to help speed it up is grease the drive cable. Only time it has problems is the last couple of inches as it closes. Much less of a problem when the alternator is putting out 14 volts instead of 12 from the battery though. (vehicle running vs off)

4. marcus

marcus Registered Member

I've heard that a bit of washing up liquid along where the weather strip meets the glass is supposed t work wonders...a top tip from my tranny mechanic!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What is "washing up liquid"? As in liquid hand soap or something else I am totally unfamiliar with?

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I think he's talking about dish soap or hand cleaner (which usually has oils in it, like lanolin). Just rub a little on the rubber and it will lessen friction. Should help.

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

WD-40. Your window will be messy, but its rubber friendly and will stay for a while.

8. marcus

marcus Registered Member

Sorry guys! Washing up liquid in the UK is the liquid that you use to wash your dished with after eating....

But I suppose hand soap for some such would work just as well....