Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate window cracked (@##$@#$) any ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tightwork 82 K5, Dec 3, 2001.

1. tightwork 82 K5

tightwork 82 K5 Registered Member

My back window cracked, and the window support bar is rusted out(the bar on the bottom that raises and lowers the window, and the seals are worn and hard. any ideas , I thought of using tinted plexi glass.

I got a neon stuck in my grill !!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/tightwork

2. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Arent there issues surounding using plexi glass for windows?

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. Locked front and back.

3. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

I had the glass replaced in the back, and the curve of the glass wasn't perfect so it didn't go up and down well, messed things up for when i got the correct one. Also i think plex glass would yellow and fog after time. but what do i know?

DUKE
    Girls Like My V8
    <a target="_blank" href=http://flchdc.8k.com/Mvc-019f.jpg>http://flchdc.8k.com/Mvc-019f.jpg</a>
    85 K5 <font color=blue>Big Blue</font color=blue>

4. tightwork 82 K5

tightwork 82 K5 Registered Member

I think in florida the front window is the only one that needs to be rated or whatever. if I used the black plexi, i think it would hold its color. i have the factory tinted glass now, and it is real dark as it is.

I got a neon stuck in my grill !!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/tightwork

5. ricka

ricka Registered Member

Just replaced my rear tailgate window. Seems my tailgate wasn't closing
    properly and when I was off-roading, I went over a nice bump and smash!
    Smashed the whole window into tiny pieces. Because the tailgate wasn't
    closing on the passenger side, the window wasn't going up in the felt
    channel and was between the channel and the hard top. Needless to say,
    that won't happen again. I should of also had the window down 2" so it
    wasn't against the top.

Anyway, new window was $135 installed at Safelite Auto glass, a national
    glass place.

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I run a Plexi window in the winter since I don't have a conventional tail gate. They scratch if you look at them wrong. Dealer should have all the parts to rebuild the window regulator. What happens a lot is the 2 side channels that the windo rides in rust out at the bottom. Then the window doesn't stayy in the corect position and they get broken. These are not that expensive and the aftermarket places (LMC, Chevy Duty Yearone) should be able to get you them if the idiot at the dealer parts counter is to stupid to find the parts.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

LMC or the dealer has the stuff. I replaced mine about a year and a half ago. No big deal, but you might want a friend handy, it's pretty heavy. I got my glass at safelite also, they recomended using plain ol black silicone to tie the glass into the bottom rail. The trick was to get all the little peices out.

I'd go ahead and use regular glass though. It will last longer and hold up better than plexi. The back window see's a lot of dust and dirt from the road. It'll scratch in a hurry.

Kyle
    89K5

8. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

I was wheelen about 3yrs ago and cracked the factory tint rear window. I shoped around for two days finding prices from No Joke $1,500.00 to $350.00 for full tint two sided grass. Then I called one more and found clear glass for $100.00. out the door. I chose the later, due to funds...

When offroading in hard conditions always have the back window down. My breakage was when I had no lift and my tow hitch sat real low. I droped down on a concreat ledge. And Blamo the rear tail gate poped out on the passenger side and shatered the window in a second.

Go with the GLASS for only $100...

KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/kensk5>My Picts</a>

9. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Yeah, go with glass. Even the glass scratches in just a few years, so think what plexi or lexan would do. The glass should be $100 or less. You can install it yourself, but you can also have a glass shop do it for little more than the cost of the glass. If you need tint, a shop can add that for $40 tops (It's better to have it tinted first and then installed). That is a lot cheaper than the factory-type tinted glass. Plus, that is more likely to shatter. Just whacking the top of the window with something when it is down can start the crack. But if you have tint film, make sure you are careful if you pack the back end full of stuff or you will scratch it.

Be sure to check the condition of the tracks in the tailgate (for rust and proper felt lining). Check the inside and outside seals, too and replace anything that doesn't look good. Replace the steel piece that holds the bottom of the window for sure. If you get it all right, the window will be good for a long time. Leave part of it as junk and you are wasting money on glass.

<font color=green>Oh man, 4:10's are sure better than 3.08's!</font color=green>

10. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

in mass glass coverage is manditory. crack heads just ripped my truck, broke the passanger window, slider and slider wing. i did not pay for any of it, insurance paid for all the glass. i had to wait awile for the wing. i guess it was hard for them to find. the glass company used to fill your tank when you got new glass

11. sinchphoto

sinchphoto 1/2 ton status

My back window is also cracked and has trouble going up and down. but now at halway up i can hear a loud snap inside the tailgate and the window stops. so i think i have other problems. help anyone?