Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Window Double Tint

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by burbanfanatic, Aug 10, 2004.

1. burbanfanatic

burbanfanatic Registered Member

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have had double layer tint applied to the rear TAILGATE window that slides up and down. Has anyone experienced any problems with the tint tearing due to the sliding pressure applied to the window? (the only option for me is to get a double layer bronze tint to get it to look like stock tint, they don't offer darker than 20% in bronze /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) Thanks!

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's exactly what I did. I had two layers of the darkest bronze tint applied, which looks like my side windows, at least from the outside. This was FAR cheaper than getting the "crack-o-matic" factory-type tinted window ($125 vs. $400).

I've had it in for like 4 or 5 years and it looks like the outside of the window will scratch before the tint film does. I did get some damage to the tint film from cargo scratching it once. It was loaded to the gills with camping gear and something sharp ended up rubbing against the window while rolling down the road.

This is in a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif. In a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif you may never have to load your gear that high, although I have been careful since then and haven't had any more problems

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have 3 layers of film on my back window, red, chrome and 5% black. No problems what so ever.

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

my Jimmy came with tinted windows from the PO, I have little tears around the top edges because my tailgate bounces around alot due to rust in the floor.

5. burbanfanatic

burbanfanatic Registered Member

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR RESPONSES!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I think I'll go for it even though it will void my warranty. Hope the window tint holds on the tailgate. I usually don't open it anyways.

For all this bronze tinting, in the end cost me a total of ($450+tax) [270 first time, 140 second time] /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

(35% front, 50% + 20% rear doors and tailgate door to achieve the stock 10% look) - the only windows tinted to start with were the 4ft long side ones...