Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate window fuse

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by HEFTY, Jan 2, 2002.

1. HEFTY

HEFTY Registered Member

what size fuse should be used with the power window in the tailgate. i have a 75 K5 with 91 tailgate and doors with all power windows. my rear window motor burned out and i can't remember what size fuse it had in it (it had the fuse in the wire going to the tailgate). i got a new motor and want to put it in, but i don't want to fry it.

thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

IIRC, no fuse whatsoever outside of the cab. Not sure how it goes through fuse panel, but from the firewall plugs to the tailgate, no fuse is used stock, at least as far as I have seen.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

I believe that the factory uses a fusible link. My harness from a JY was 12GA so you should use a 14GA fusible link. This wire tied into the junction box on the firewall. When I changed my manual to electric I ran 12GA teflon mil spec wire and used a 30A breaker. I like the breakers because they reset and allow you to try and get the window closed even if something is not right. Fusible links are a one shot deal.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I believe there are only two fusible links on these trucks, and they are both coming from the starter to the fuse panel, and have (directly) nothing to do with the tailgate. The power windows are the same way I remember someone mentioning...(but not doorlocks) nothing but 12V straight from the fuse panel.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

5. prjt_blzr

prjt_blzr 1/2 ton status

It's been a while since I did this and it was a JY harness so it may not have been factory but my harness had a wire that ran to the Jblock on the firewall. I'll check my manuals to see if they are of any help.