Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate window lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MILOLGJC, Feb 4, 2003.

1. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

I believe that the clutch has failed on my tailgate window lift. The exterior mechanism spins and doesn't lift the window unless I insert a screwdriver into a slot behind the lock. Also I found a piece of metal inside the tailgate that resembles part of the clutch mechanism in the LM truck catalog. Also found the clip that holds the clutch inside the tailgate also. Anyways, my Haynes manual doesn't tell me how the exterior mechanism can be removed. Thanks!!!

2. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To remove the mechanism you have to:
    Remove the access panel on the inside of the tailgate.

Undo the 4 bolts accross the bottom of the glass, then slide the glass out of the tailgate. You may have to remove one of the pieces of weatherstripping with a screwdriver for it to slide out of the opening.

Then you need to unbolt the regulator from the tailgate, and lift it out.

Now you will be able to see the two nuts that hold on the crank assembly, those nuts are acually attached to studs pressed into the handle assembly.

Now your handle should be off, I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any steps. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I think that once you get started it should make sense, if it doesn't, let me know.
    Good Luck!

3. MILOLGJC

MILOLGJC Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I was hoping there would be an easier way, but I guess not. Thanks again for the help.