Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate window safety switch

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by oh-zj-io, Mar 22, 2007.

1. oh-zj-io

oh-zj-io Registered Member

Hi!

Yes I HAVE done the search and found several threads on the window woes.

My problem is that the posts aren't specific and are mostly contradictory.

I have an 88 K5 with the electric window. It goes down fine but will only go up if someone presses the tailgate closed and 'assists' the window with some slight tugging upwards. I am convinced that it is the safety switch.

What I need to know is...where the heck is the safety switch on MY Blazer? The posts say it's on the 'right latch' or it's on the 'driver's latch' or it's on the 'passenger side latch', etc. There are no specific years, etc, listed. I don't see wires going to EITHER side like there would be an electrical devise there. My K5 has a plug directly connected to the mechanism on the inside side of the glass that has a white/blue stripe and a white/red stripe wire going to it and that's all I see.

Am I missing something? Do the 88s have a safety switch in the tailgate? Why don't I see the things that are made to sound so obvious in the old threads? My tailgate is useless, as it is, and I NEED to be able to use it.

Thoughts???

Thanks,
    Al

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The switch is inside the gate on the driverside latch. Not sure of the color wires but all blazers are in the same place.

3. oh-zj-io

Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate it. :bow:

Since I can not see the safety switch or any wires running to it I guess I will need to remove the driver's side latch to make sure that's my problem and to jump it to disable it. Also, since I don't currently have room in my garage, I guess I'll have to hope the rain stops at some point in the near future so I can actually do it!! :doah:

Al

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Doesn't sound like the switch to me.. if it was, it wouldn't even make an attempt to go up...

sounds like a motor, or your tracks are worn/out of whack... mine did the same thing and it was the fubarred track and hardtop to tailgate alignment..

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Given the fact that he said he has to push on the tail gate in order for it to go up i think he may need to adjust the latches. If the tail gate is down or closed but not tight enough for the switch to activate then it won't go up.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yup

7. oh-zj-io

I will take a look at the driver's side latch AND I will adjust the latches to see if I can get a tighter close.

Thanks guys!

Al