Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate & Window

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bking, Jun 11, 2001.

1. bking

bking 1/2 ton status

My tailgate window will not work with the key. Works sweet from the dash switch, it's a pain in the rain at the store having to open the truck to hold the switch every time, any suggestions? I took the cover off the inside of the tailgate but it looks like a big disassemble project to access the lock cylinder etc???
    Also, my power door locks don
    t work right either, the driver side lock won't operate, the switch on the drivers side works fine for the passenger side, the switch on the passenger side works fine for the passenger side, drivers side nothing. The switch on the drivers side doesn't work the drivers side lock, whats up with that?

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have the same tailgate problem... That's on the "Do later" list...

Sounds like the problem is not the switch on your drivers side lock... I would take the door apart and check the linkage and wiring, sounds like something may have come loose. I'd guess you're not hearing it pop on the drivers side when you hit the switch?

Ratch
    **<A target="_blank" HREF=http://k5.8m.com>http://k5.8m.com</A> What more is there to life?**

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

You need a new switch on your tailgate. Every blazer that my buds have, including mine, didn't work. taking the tailgate and guts apart isn't that hard. just take the 4 bolts that hold the window in off, slide window out, then 4 bolts that hold regulator in out, the the backside of the key switch will be right there. take it out, put new one in, try it, and you should be in business. If ya have any questions, PM me or something because I just had my whole tailgate apart, but I converted to manual rear window because I hated my electric one.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    [irl]www.bens87toy.coloradok5.com[/url]

4. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

Had same problem with mine, but I didn't have the right key for it once I bought it. To get at lock cylinder open tailgate, with assistance electrically roll window all way up, I would put a garbage can or some support under window. With interior cover off you should be able to get to two nuts that hold the chrome casing along with the cylinder. If you try to dissconect the white knob with the 3 wires into it from the cylinder, BE CAREFULL. If you are not you will break a pin on the cylinder, the cylinder still may be good and it can't be repaired. Take the cylinder to a locksmith to see if its still good. If it is good clean it up replace and try it again. Try this out first then go from there. As with your lock, like above check connections. If connections seem good, check to see if there is power to switch. If there is power, check to see if switch is working. If still good, check the solenoid(I believe thats what actuates the locks, tell me if I'm wrong). Some people don't have the slightest clue about electrical, if you need any assistance in the above tests get back to me or ask someone who may know. It wouldn't be a bad idea to start learning and invest in a cheap meter. Let me know how it works out. Good Luck Jason

Oh ya watch out, your battery is still connected!