Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate Wiring Harness location...Please Help!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sarazk5, Jul 18, 2001.

1. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 Jimmy. It originally came with a manual gate, which i sold and bought a power gate for. Anyway, I got the wiring harness with the new gate, but I want to install it where the factory location would be. I have 2 books on my truck and neither of them show the wiring diagram for the tailgate. Can someone please explain to me thoroughly where this wire runs, and where the hole on the firewall is located etc. Any info you can give will help greatly. Pictures would earn bonus points.

Sara

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

The tailgate harness comes out of the lower left hand corner of the gate, and runs along the inside of the left hand framerail in the same conduit as the taillight wiring, into the firewall at the same point.

Generic Signature
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Be careful not to get the harness pinched on the tailgate spring when you run the harness into the gate.

Also, both of mine have a clip that is attached to the left inside of the gate about 8-10 inches up from the bottom. Yours may not have this clip, but attaching to that area would help keep wires clear of the window mechanism.

Good luck.

John

4. sarazk5

sarazk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys :-)