Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 15, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys I have a CRAPLOAD of rust on my tailgate... but nothing a bit of sanding and bondo wont take care of... im kinda strapped for cash but... you think itd be more worth it to pull the tailgate off and me and my buddy would sand and bondo and paint it... or just get a fib glass one? How do you get the tailgate off anyway? Do you unbolt it from the tailgate itself or from under the truck, i know you can do it either way, but which way is easier/better? Thanksmuch!

2. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i think you should just bondo and sand it..to take it of on bolt it from the hinges..and you have to take those torque rods out or something...but be carfull..its heaveir than it feels becuase the torque rods make it easier to open/close!!!

3. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

derek doesn't have those torque rods. so its all heavy for him newayz. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif thats funny. lol. later.

jacob

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did i miss something? lol..

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I dont think i have torque rods.... so its a b!tch getting it up and taking it down. Anyway, do you unbolt it from the bolts that are on the tailagte itself or the bolts from under the truck? Oh yeah... jacob, you're giving your torque rod aren't you? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

just unbolt it from the ones on the gate..those are the bolts that are connected to the hinges..which are connected to the tailpan. but if you just need to get the tailgate itself of..just unbolt the bolts on the gate..(4 big ones on each side of the bottom i think..?)

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Two bolts on each hinge connecting to the pan. Unbolt those and the gate and hinges slide right out. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea..providing he still has a tailpan... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif if its anything like mine that is lol...