Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate won't open/choke pull off adjustments/fender seals.......

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Nov 24, 2003.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

Tailgate won\'t open/choke pull off adjustments/fender seals.......

I did a doosey! Installed the tailgate weather strip on my blazer, perfect fit, no more leaks! etc. Shut the gate and the puppy won't open now! Had a couple of buddies pushing on the tailgate with me inside trying to pop the handle and no go. Any secrets? I should have adjusted the tailgate striker plates before closing it, but that's what I get for not thinking....
    I still need an answer to a previous post...
    how do you know when the choke pull off is adjusted correctly? How do I set it? It has an allen screw adjustment but I don't know how, so....ideas???
    And, has anyone installed those fender seals on their truck? I bought a pair from LMC, gotta remove the fenders though. Once I install them, every piece of rubber/bushings/mounts, etc. every piece, will be new!
    If you have installed those fender seals, how? My truck does not have them so no guide to follow.

2. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Re: Tailgate won\'t open/choke pull off adjustments/fender seals.......

Have you tried to push in on the gate from the outside and pull up on the tailgate handle while lifting up on the latch?
    Thats what I have to do on mine.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

sounds like gate needs to be pushed in tighter while pulling on handle and ten gate should open, got too much pressure on the latch sliders it sound slike because of having the weatherstripping wedging gate towards rear of truck

i might be able to find out information about adjusting the pulloff, i did not know any were adjustable, ill have to look on one of the ones i have laying around and see, hmmm..

good luck

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If the vehicle runs poorly when it's cold, and you can reach in, open the choke plate a hair, and it runs better, the choke pulloff/rod needs adjusted.

Sounds to me like the choke is fully open before the truck warms up enough.