Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate wont work HELP

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazinzuk, Jan 18, 2003.

1. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I need help getting my tailgate fixed it won't open and the window won't roll down. Anyhelp would be nice. Open to any suggestions ideas etc. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

this happend to me the switch on the dash stuck( inside cant see) but it was stuck in up mode and fried the motor this may have happend to you. bum bum bum

3. blazinzuk

Its a 73 blazer no electric window the latch for the tailgate isn't working either /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the manual cranks but my electric has a safety release that won't allow the tailgate to open unless the window is completely down. You will have to remove the access cover and look for it and push down on it while pulling on your handle. Don't let it drop to hard though, you might shatter that glass.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Need more details on " and the window won't roll down. " Does the handle just spin free or does the window only come part way down?

There is an interlock inside the door that won't let the tailgate handle open the tailgate until the window is all the way down.

6. blazinzuk

The handle just spins free. Also the lock cylinder just fell out the first time I undid the handle to try to roll down the back window. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. HarryH3

Ah, if the lock cylinder fell out, then I can tell you how to at least roll the window down for now. Insert a tiny screwdriver into the hole where the lock cylinder was. At the bottom of that hole, you'll see another smaller hole. Slip the end of the screwdriver into that small hole about 1/2-inch. While holding the screwdriver in place, roll the window down. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I don't know if the lock cylinders are still available for the tailgates or not. You might just need to take yours to a locksmith and see if it can be repaired.

8. blazinzuk

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    HarryH3 you are are wonderful person went outside window rolls down great tailgate comes down LMC has the lock cylinders and I will be ordering one as soon as I get offline Thank you /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. HarryH3

Sweet! Just keep in mind that a new lock cylinder will mean that the tailgate key and the door key will no longer match. A locksmith can change the new cylinder to match your door key, but may also be able to fix the lock cylinder that you already have. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif