Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate ???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chops76, Jul 5, 2006.

1. chops76

chops76 Registered Member

i have a 1976 k5 and i run a vinyl convertible top. i am i need of a new tailgate but have no use for the back crank window as i dont plan on putting the hard top back on. instead of going with a big , heavy , expensive and hard to find gm blazer tailgate, has anybody put a pick up tailgate on a blazer? i know that the hinges and latching mechinisms will be different but how about fit? how much work would it take and is it worth it? rust free pick up tailgates are a dime a dozen for me and it would also be a way to lighten up my rear a bit. let me know what you guys think. thanks chops76

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yep.

As a matter of fact, the factory offered this for '73-76 when they offered a soft top -- they called it a special option tailgate, but it is for all intents and purposes a pickemup tailgate.

From your donor pickup, be sure to get the hinges and the folding flat, umm, things, that hold the gate when it's down... and all the associated hardware.

But yeah, it'll bolt right up to a Blazer/Jimmy. Doesn't matter what year you get, 73-87 pickup will do, though the trim may be wrong for your Blazer's year :)

-- A

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Like mentioned, just get the hardware with the gate and you will be able to bolt it on and go. I did it on my 90. Got the gate and hardware from a 75 and it worked fine untill I had it off the other day and a storm blew it over and now it has a nice dent in it.:doah: