Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailgate....

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by meatloafK5, Dec 1, 2001.

1. meatloafK5

meatloafK5 Registered Member

Ok. Now that I have my Blazer running again.....the next project! I want to replace the electric rear window assembly with a manual "crank" style one. MY current electric is broken and came with the truck, so I don't know the cause and I cant open the tailgate because of it. I figured that a manual window is simpler and easier to work with if it ever breaks or gets damaged in the future. Has anyone done this? and do I just need the manual crank and clutch assembly for it? Thanks for your input.

"stupid people are simply alive because it's illegal to kill them..."

84 K5 Blazer 305(for now) many mods coming....including a 350

2. Boscolingus

Boscolingus 1/2 ton status

why not just fix what you have rather then re-invent the wheel?

Got my 91 K5 back after 2 years - and man I need parts - BAD!!!!

3. meatloafK5

Well....that does not answer my question. I do not want to re-invent the wheel, however I do have to disassemble just about every part of the rear window/tailgate assembly even to begin to figure out what is broken or not working properly. So I figured that I might as well put it together how I wanted it and which meets my needs. I do not like everything automatic or electric on a vehicle. Just more things to break.

4. ricka

ricka Registered Member

I had my manual crank break in the fully closed position. The only way
    to solve this problem is to remove the screws in the access door from
    inside the vehicle and then manually lower the glass enough so you
    can open the tailgate. In my case it was a lock problem and I couldn't
    unlock it, which means you can't lower the glass. With the glass up
    or mostly up, you can remove the crank bolts (two on the inside).

I would imagine that the electric crank is exactly the same as the
    manual one as far as how it bolts-up and hooks to the window. Seems
    like it would be easily enough to convert to manual. But if it were
    me, I'd fix your electric one :-)

-------
    Rick Anderson (rick.d.anderson@tektronix.com)
    Tektronix, Inc. Beaverton, OR 503-627-2630

5. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Why not tell us whats wrong before tearing things apart? I've seen alot of manual cranks that are broken or don't go up all the way. Not saying the electrics are great either (I've had my fair share of problems) but if you've already got it... It could be something as simple as a little tan wire that isn't making contact (juice wire for down).

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've done this exact swap. Electric to manual. IT IS WORTH IT!! I walked down to my GM dealer bought the regulator, handle, lock cylinder, lock paul, lock spring, and clutch and E-clip. Took me a total of about 2.5 hours taking my time and cleaning everything out. For me, it is totally worth it, I don't have to start my truck every time I want to put the window down, my outside key switch didn't work, and it was so ssslllloooowwwwww and took a huge draw off the battery. I like things simple so I went manual.
    Yes you will see almost every factory manual rear window with a broken off handle, thats probally from being rough with it, spinning it around as fast as possible, trying to jam the window through the top just to make sure it is closed and all of those abuse habbits. So, from doing it myself, it is a worth wild swap for about 200-250 bucks brand new. The hardest part is getting the lock cylinder to all fit together and work.
    Ben 87 jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com>www.bens87toy.alloffroad.com</a>

7. big d

big d 1/2 ton status

i did this pretty much to my blazer also. everything was electric and pretty much didnt work right. had everything converted to manual. still had problems withthe manual rear window and some of my new parts broke and i refused to put any more money into it. so i went and bought a salvage yard pu tailgate and had a custom window cover cut out of an old tonneau cover and that looks like a jeep's. it has clear vinyl "glass" that i had put in with a 2- way zipper that can be rolled up or the whole unit can be rolled up. i put a aluminum drip edge above it so it does not leak. it is held on by snaps and im having commercial grade velcro sewed in also. i will send in pics to this forum one of these days. i have recieved lots of complements already. by the way my blazer tailgate is brand new and is for sale if any body wants it. all window components are pretty much new except for handle parts that broke(clutch). i also have spare set af tailgate hinges.
    also i have lots of 4x4 mags for sale clear back to early 90's and most are in mag holders and in good shape. email me for more info.
    darren olander
    1979 chevy cheyenne blazer
    350/350
    gettin' down on all fours 4 a'little
    x
    4 play !

8. meatloafK5

Thanks for the info guys. You also just described the exact reason why I want a manual window! This is exactly what I was looking for. I have the LMC catalog in front of me and it might be just me, but their prices overall seem a little high?!? Althougth I don't really have anything else to compare them to. I was thinking of getting the window parts from them.

9. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

when I bought the stuff from GM, they were the exact same prices basically, except I didn't have to pay shipping. So I just went through them to keep it simple.
    Ben 87 Jimmy