Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgate

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by twistedminds, Dec 11, 2003.

1. twistedminds

twistedminds Registered Member

new guy here, i recently bought an 89k5, the idiot before me had a window problem, the blue cable was shot, well he didnt know what he was doing and started taking apart the release mechanism for the tailgate. ive never seen one before, so i dont know how it goes back. anyone have or know of any diagrams, or repair manuals that will help(chiltons and haynes are horrible for the truck). thanks alot. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ken /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

describe a little more what needs to be hooked back up /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if its possible for you to get pics up of what you need to put back together, that would probobly help a lot! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

OK, I have changed every thing except the glass, but I have removed that too to replace the regulator assy.
    There is the cable that goes from / to the motor and gear assy. They are on opposite sides of the tailgate.
    The easiest way to replace the cable is to open the tail gate, put the side latches into the locked position, as if the tailgate was closed. You can now operate the window lift motor with the key. Put the window 3/4 of the way up. Be careful, there is nothing supporting the glass. You can now get to cable and change it. BE CAREFUL. the regulator is spring loaded to the up position. If you remove the gear drive on the right side, watch your fingers. If this does not help, let me know exactly what you need help with.
    It is not as hard as you might think.
    To reset the latches just pull the tailgate handle.

5. twistedminds

no theres two things that he took off, i had no problem fixing the window itself. Its opening the tailgate i have a problem with. Theres a metal bar that bends twice and has a i inch plastic clip on it. And theres a metal braket thats about 4 inches long, its bent almost at a 90 degree angle length wise. oh and i dont have a way to post pics. sorry. i know that would really help. i gotta invest in that.

6. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

OK, those rods go from the center to each side, correct?
    They are attacted to the latch mech in the center of the tailgate. Straighten them out. There is a latch adjustment. There is a bolt in the middle of the latch that has a slide adjustment on it. Loosen and adjust. But straighten the rods first.
    If you want, I can take some pics and send them to you.
    Let me know.

7. twistedminds

8. twistedminds

bump /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif