Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailgater Terrorizer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Jan 22, 2002.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Living in the Washington, DC area I have to put up with the occasional tailgater. I think I've come up with an idea that will put an end to this.

I'm thinking that I could get a windshield washer pump, a resorvoir, a switch to activate the pump, and a length of rubber hose. I would then rig up the hose so that it would squirt at windshield level of the offending tailgater. Of course the switch would be located in the cab. I have some ideas on fluids to use in the resorvoir. I would love to hear suggestions, modifications, or personal experiences with this type of device.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

2. fright89

fright89 1/2 ton status

two things come to mind. i drove a volvo wagon for a while. you could spin the sprayer around on the back window. good for cooling off bikers and other roadside beeings. the wagon was a good offroader. Another wagon i drove was a cutlas cruser deisel. when someone tailgated me in that one i would put it in nutral and rev it real hard, clouds of black smoke would come pouring out of the dual pipes. smoked em off my butt. The wagon had a converted gas engine and belive it or not i nerver blew it up. another good wagon

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Just make sure if someone ever complains and the cops stop you it looks set up that way to clean the window and not spray cars. If you cause an accident or piss someone off then you could be really, um, well.... screwed.....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

One of my friends had an old cherokee with the rear wiper. The hose dry rotted off and the tube coming out of the tailgate pointed straight back. It worked great, he used to spray our friends cars when they'd ride his bumper.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

5. Just remember if you caused an accident, you would be liable for everything that happened, and in the DC area it would be easy to cause a pile-up.
    Just something to think about. Tailgaters don't bother me that much while I am in the truck, if they ran into me they might mess up the 10 bolt in the back, and then I would have to make them pay for a 14 bolt replacement from Boyce! hehe

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I feel the same as others. Don't do this or you could end up in real trouble. Besides, who is really the loser in any tailgating experience? The tailgater. They are the ones getting stressed by accel/decel/brake/accel and so on. They are the ones more at risk.

If I have a tailgater, I usually just let off the gas. They don't seem to realize how easily a big truck slows down without ever tapping the brakes. Before they know it, they are right up on me. They tend to panic a bit and back off a little after that. Or, be mature about it. Slow down until they feel the need to pass and let them go. Life isn't worth racing through just to say "I beat you".

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

7. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I agree with the others on this as well...

Just let of the accelerator and let them go...antagonizing the situation can be deadly...just watch the news!

Haze gray and underway...<font color=blue>or blue, in my case.</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/album/26246038MbQsYWKcbo>U.S.S. Nimitz II</a>

8. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the advice but I think I'll try it anyway and take my chances.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

9. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Yeah I agree with the liability issue. My friend never sprayed anyone accept our friends, and then only at stop lights cause it didn't spray very far.
    I get tailgated all the time and it pisses me off cause my gas tank is pretty much level with the hood of the average car. If anyone hit me it would probably rupture the tank. I just let the idiots pass me instead of riding my bumper. I had one guy drafting me on I-77 through the mountians in WV, that scared the crap out of me. All I could see was a little bit of his roof, he had to be literaly under my bumper. If I had a gun I would have shot his damn tires out. I had to slow down to 45 to get him to finally pass me. I can't believe how badly some people drive, it's a wonder they make it home alive every night.

Joe

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

My 68 Camaro had a great way of getting tailgaters to back off (no, the throttle works too..but..). I'd shut off the ingnition, pump the exhaust full of fuel and kick the key back on. With dual 5 foot flames and a crack like a double barrel shotgun I rarely had anyone stay very close very long. Come to think of it, I didn't have glasspacks last very long either... well, to each his own!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://24.55.50.76:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

11. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Just let them rear end you and say you were stopping for a deer, then take them to the bank.

12. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

I'm a proponent of the "sudden downshift" method, with a tap of the brakes to make it "official".

Nothing slows your vehicle quickly like downshifting does. Unless you blow your tranny, in which case the tailgater has the last laugh.

<font color=red>I will not tolerate intolerance </font color=red>[​IMG]

13. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I just take my foot off the gas and drop it out of OD, works great! I don't really try to get rear ended though, that happens enough on it's own! I got hit 3 times last winter in NY while sitting at stoplights. God bless the engineer that made the factory hitch drop down as far as the gas tank, that thing has claimed 2 toyotas and a honda. It's kind of a wierd feeling watching a car slide toward you when you can't do anything to get out of the way. Now I really gotta build a skid plate for the gas tank since my new bumper/hitch doesn't protect it anymore.

Joe

14. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

For some reason I don't get tailgated that often, maybe it is all the mud that is falling off that that makes em stay back.
    You can tell where I have been parking at work from the cowpies on the pavement. [​IMG]

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

15. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Well, you could retrofit your sprayer with alcohol and set up sparkers so you shot flames.....but I would just forget the whole idea.....to much liability these days. Besides, my friend just hit me, and all the happened was he has a bowtie shaped dent in his hood from my hitch cover.

Shutup Brain or I'll stab you with a Q-Tip - Homer J. Simpson