Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailight wiring problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4 Cowboy, Mar 1, 2003.

1. 4x4 Cowboy

4x4 Cowboy 1/2 ton status

ok when i brake only one tailight comes on(the left side only works when i brake), but if i back up or use turn signal or emergency flashers both will work fine.
    do you have any ideas or suggestions on where to look first to fix this or what may cause it. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    want to get this fix before i push my luck to far and get pulled over /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i had this prob about a week ago, my wire had corroded and broke in two...

but try changing the bulb (1157), then i would look at the connections and wires

thats how i foudn mine

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Also check for a bad ground at the tail lights. That can cause strange stuff to happen. To get to it, remove the lens and the housing, then you should see a wire grounded to the body. That connection has to be good on each side for the lights to work right.

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Mine did the same thing and come to find out the turn signal/wiper/cruise stalk has just gotten loose over the years and sometimes after using signal it wont come back up all the way and keeps the brake light from lighting up on that side. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif