Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

taillight problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cochino12, Jan 1, 2005.

1. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

My drivers side taillight used to go out once in a while and then it would just start working again at random. Now it's gone out completly and was hoping someone here knew if there is a common place for wires to short, or the best route to narrowing down the problem. Thanks

Oh and yes I did try a new bulb :D and this is for my '83

2. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

Sometimes the sockets just corrode and don't make a good contact with the bulb. Use a multimeter or test light to see if there is voltage going to the socket.

3. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

make sure and check all your grounds:xmas:

4. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

between all of the blazers I have had, every light related problem has been a ground. On our blazers the ground goes right onto a screw behind the light assembly. I have also seen some with grounds that clip/slide into place.

check at you engin harness, the tailights have a harness that will come from under the drivers side of the cab and plug into it, there are 4 wires if I remember right, some times for some reason or another the wires can get pulled, streched or the conection into the harness could ust plain be loose.

go to auto zone and get a battery cleaner brush tool, insert that into the socket to see if you can clean it up some, could be corroded like the above person said.

get a cheap tester light too to help you hunt it down, also have you messed with your exaust? poor routing can burn the wiring, the past owner of my 86 had the muffler put real close to the frame, it killed my wiring to my rear light,

good luck, the wiring on these trucks is not that bad, but it can still make you nutty.

-shawn

5. cochino12

cochino12 1/2 ton status

Well I found the problem, WTF are people thinking when they do crap like this? Anyway, anyone have a harness plug (whatever it's called) to sell?

light.jpg