Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taillight Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by daleearnhardt01, Dec 13, 2002.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Everynow and then my left side brake light wont work but the right will. The signal and taillight work fine. Workin at a shop I grabbed a bulb right quick when it first started to do this, just to see if it could be that even though I knew it wasnt /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Before I ask my boss to help me tear into it, what would yall say the prob would be. A wire messed up or somethin? Im not much into electrical so it kinda intimidates me /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Probabley a loose connection.

3. 85BlazerFan

85BlazerFan Registered Member

So, just your brake light doesn't work on the left, but turn signal and parking lights work? (can't quite make this out from your post)

If everything works on the left but the brake light, I'd say the brake wire is frayed or loose. Pretty obvious.

If nothing works on the left, take the bulb out and you'll see a bowed piece of metal that the bulb contacts when installed. You will need to bend it out a little (towards you), but be careful because it is pretty fragile and you can break it. Just use a small screwdriver and pry it up a little at a time.

I had this same problem about a year ago. I would punch the taillight lens or the sheetmetal surrounding it to make it work again (was too lazy to fix the loose connection), then one time after I punched the lens and put a nice hole through it (brand new lens,too! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif ), I finally fixed it.

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah its obviously a wire problem. We dug into it today and found some bad connections under there. Have to fix it during christmas break

5. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen to my 85 silverado truck. The turn signal switch in the column was wearing out. If the signal arm was bumped down, only one brake light would work. If you gently pushed it up a bit then both would work. Something you might experiment with before you start wire tracing.

6. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Check the plug down there on the tail of the frame on the driver's side. Plug a voltmeter or test light in the part that comes from the cab. You can then test it to see if it's before or after the plug. If it's after the plug you can do a continuity test with an ohmmeter or a test light and a 9v battery.

Also, check your ground. I was having all sorts of crazy problems because my ground wire was hooked to a piece of rust instead of iron. Having a poor ground can result in dim lights as well.