Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailpan and tailposts...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bryguy00b, Oct 8, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

going to be ordering some new tailposts and a rear pan soon..was wondering if any of ya'll knew which company made the best ones...like the closest sizes and all. also, im going to be patching my rear floor...i was wondering how you could do this around the body mounts...my rear floor is rotted around the body mounts and the floor has fallen below the mounts, so in a sense, the body isnt hardly even mounted to the frame! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif...so i need to patch that section up and re-mount it..is this possible? would some peices from a pickup bed work?

thanx all!

2. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

good friggin luck! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I guess you being in NY it's hard to find anything not rusted but here I can find a junked truck and unbolt the pan and put it in my truck.
    It comes out in one piece easy, just plenty of bolts.
    I think it would be much cheaper and faster than actually welding pieces to it.
    IceMan

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well that kind of thing dont happen out here! lol..i have to order a new pan and stuff an weld it in..and it looks like ill have a few trips over to te scrap yard to make..

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Tell me how much it would cost you and if it's worth it I can ship one for you.
    IceMan

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

for a new tailpan you mean? that would cost me around 130 or so and thats not including shipping so i would have to guess...around 160 maybe?

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

but yea any rust free tailpan, tailpost or rear floor peices or scraps i could use!

8. codeman

codeman Registered Member

I got the two back pieces of the floor from one of the many companies on the internet that sell them. The floor "ribs" did not match up to the factor ones. They were all about 4 mm smaller. It made it pretty hard to make good patches.

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

actually i could use something like that just to cut out..if it was a tad smaller that would probobly be just the trick for me!

10. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

i am currently in the same state as you but i have the repair panels and tailpan sitting in my garage awaiting me to install them when i get a chance oh yeah i also bought a new body mount kit also, just take your time and everything should be fine, happy welding hehehe

Ck1500