Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailpan brace rusted out...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wedgeindy, Jul 30, 2002.

1. wedgeindy

wedgeindy Registered Member

Did a search on back a year, lots of good info on this. The short version is that my tailgate didn't feel like closing and now I know why. I started taking it apart last night and it's quite a mess. Tailpan is totaly rusted out, as the floor and the right side taligate post. Ick.

Newbie here to body work, lost of stupid questions to follow...

Note: Please feel free to push me off to a webiste if there is decent article out there on how to do this kind of stuff...

a) how does one remove the old tailpan. Bolts are rusted bad and I'm thiking I'm going to break the tabs off that the thing is bolted to. It's no longer welded to the floor as the floor is rotten away.

b) how does one cut the old floor out to put a new one in?

c) does one have to remove the gas tank to be doing this work?

d) am I freakin' crazy for thinking about doing this myself?

Tony
    wedgeindy@hotmail.com

2. wedgeindy

Update: Just called a GM dealership in Ottawa Canada (Turpin) and they can't find [censored]. I read in the archives about buying a whole floor, tailpan, x-brace assembly, and they can't find that. Can't find the floor by itself, can't find tailpan by itself. Great....Anyone happen to have part #'s?

Tony

3. Calclips

Calclips 1/2 ton status

Swartz Creek, Michigan/Flint while in school
    TTT somebody should know something about this.

4. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Floorpan Hopefully this is of some help, and i think it has a part number for the floor

5. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Tailpan from gm is part of the floor, gm part#15571692
    Gm is showing 2 in Boston and 7 in Woodstock retail price is 1043.50, dealer cost is around 615.00 all in canadian pesos.There was a link a while back to gmpartsdirect.com (I think thats right). punch in the above part number on that site and I think it came to around 360.00 us dollars.You can get the tailpan seperate from LMC for around 149.00 US.
    You can also get the floor in three pieces from LMC. The tailpan is a pretty basic piece, I just had a metal shop bend me some steel, have'nt got to installing that part yet, still working on the cab.I'm assuming your talking about a 78-91 blazer jimmy.

6. tipoil

tipoil 1/2 ton status

try this and get a free catalog in the mail real soon .
    they have evrything u need and more!!even in canada!!

and they do send u one!!

www.lmctruck.com

7. wedgeindy

Thanks guys, aweome stuff. I have the LMC catalog at home (thank god) and I've been flipping through it for a few weeks. I knew this thing was going to go on me, so I've been thinking about it for a while.

That article is friggin' awesome, thanks for posting.

Thanks for the part #'s. I don't know how you get that info (nor will I ask : >) but I'm going to go back to the GM dealership and see if they will cut me some slack.

There is an aftermarket parts place across the street from me (Fender Factory) and it looks like the floor (2 pcs), tailpan, and 2 tailgate posts will run ~ $650 CDN. If the GM dealer can give me a price break on the floor assy (which does have the floor and tailpan right??), I would save in the long run with the welding.

Stay tuned, going to start stripping it all out this weekend.

T.

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

dont worry..16 year old kid hear..and im bout to dig into it too after i get it running and all the mechanical stuff taken care of!! lol

Bryan

9. Khi5in

Khi5in Registered Member

Go to the top of the page on this site and click technical. 6th one down click the link. I was looking for the same type of info a while back and this is a real in depth article and pix of what your in for. Let me know what you decide to do.