Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tailshaft Bushing on an NP241

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dammit32, Jan 29, 2004.

1. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

Has anyone replaced one of these? I think I need one but wasnt sure if I could drive it out with a hammer and a socket or if I need to bring the tailshaft housing to a machine shop to have it pressed out. The machine shop way isnt an easy way for me because the Blazer is my DD and is the only vehicle with plate right now so I was seeking an alternate method.

Thanks for the help

2. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I've always used a screwdriver or punch to bend the other one in and pry it out. Then I use a socket or piece of pipe to drive the new one in. It always helps to put the new one in the freezer for a couple of hours first. It slides in easier. Then when it warms up, it's a good tight fit. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rick

3. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

Is it leaking after the seal has been replaced several times?? I thought mine was bad too, but come to find out, the seal that seperates the trans/t-case was letting all the ATF in the trans to go through the adapter and into the t-case. I found this out by checking the fluid in the t-case. I thought, "Well, its been leaking for several months, so its gotta be low." Pulled the FILL (top) plug and was welcomed to a water fall of ATF!!!! Checked the trans dipstick and sure enough....almost dry!!!

Its the little things that will getchya'!!

Rob

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

If you have a harbor freight tools around you or similiar cheap tool outlet buy a bushing driver set to remove and install the bushing. However from lessons learned the hard way...apply a light coating of grease inside the seal or it will tear itself up right away and leak...and when all else fails and its still leaking as in my case you'll have to replace the slipshaft on the driveshaft...thats what cured my deal in the end...but after 200K shes gonna have a few worn parts at that mileage.

DW

5. dammit32

dammit32 1/2 ton status

I ordered my high angle driveline CV shaft yesterday....gloat