Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

tailshafts(same or different?)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by promudder1, Jan 13, 2002.

1. promudder1

promudder1 1/2 ton status

would a np205 froma fourspeed work on a th400 if you had the adapter from a th400, are they the same spline count and size, i want to put a np205 from a stick behind my th400 that came with a 208, if i buy the adapter new from gm would it go together? has anyone done this before? i love throwing crap together it is such fun!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A lot of the SM 465's came with 10 spline output shafts. If the SM 465 was from a newer truck with a NP208 behind it or a NP 241 it will be 32 spline just like the TH400 version 205.

The adaptor I don't think is available new anymore...but I could be wrong.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. promudder1

the 205 is 1975 version havent seen it yet to check spline count. the th400 is 1985 model

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You'll have to swap the input's on the 205 to the female 32 spline input. The case will need boring as the bearing is a little larger.
    The face of the 205 will need to re drilled for the correct adaptor I think...

You could ask Stephen Watson for more specifics...or even do a search through the ORD forum for more info. I'm sure I recall it being covered at least once.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

5. RGF

RGF 1/2 ton status

The 75 205 will have a 10spline input gear, to make that work behind a TH400 that had a 208 you will have to completely tear down the case and have it bored for the bigger 32spline input/bearing plus buy the correct adapter. You are looking at somewhere around $400. just to do that, they have 2 different 32spline inputs a long and a short one. You will need the long version so you dont have to change out the output shaft in the TH400.
    I would keep looking for the right transfer and save yourself some headaches and money in the long run,unless your planning on rebuilding the transfer anyways.
    The military pick-ups used TH400s with 208s and 205s and it appears that all the trannys were the same shaft stick-out but they could use either transfer.
    I just fiqured this out a couple weeks ago and Ive been around for awhile, learn something new everyday!

RGF

6. promudder1

thanks for all the info guys!