Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taiwan want to test a missle - here we go again!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DPI, Jul 6, 2006.

1. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

According to the article, China has 800 short-range ballistic missiles aimed at the self-ruled island in case it formally declares independence. And we are supposed to protect them?

We seem to be getting stretched a little thin...

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/taiwan_china_missiles_dc;_ylt=AoZf5Ut8dflqRR09CkEBOiEDW7oF;_ylu=X3oDMTBhcmljNmVhBHNlYwNtcm5ld3M-

North Korea is "threatening" to launch more of the missles that seemed to have failed...:haha: Really it's not funny.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

China doesn't want ANY part of the US at this time, believe me. We could hurl their nation into economic depression without even putting one grunt in asia.

j

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Very true. A simple boycott of all PRC products for a couple of months would be a disaster for them.

4. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

It would also spell disaster for the US. Because - we have replaced so much American made product with CRAP from china! We cut them off and that cuts US off. So its basically a stailmate...

5. Desert Rat

Yeah, but the key word is "crap". We don't buy anything from China that can't be bought from Taiwan, Korea, Vietnam, Mexico, etc. I think we can live without half the Wal-Mart stuff for a couple of months. As long as we can buy oil, we are ok.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, but I've got this image in my head of a missile with 'Made in Taiwan' stamped on the side and some little guy with a set of jump leads trying to fire it up.:D
    If it's up to their usual manufacturing standards no one except the guy nearest it has anything to worry about.

I know I'm trivialising it, but it just seemed funny. :o

7. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Pretty much... and if we did that, maybe their demand for oil would drop and prices would come down again :D

8. jekbrown

uhhhh... no. There is no doubt there would be a negative impact on us from losing China as a trade partner... but Korea/Taiwann/Malaysia/India etc are always waiting in the wings to grab market share, it'd be great for them (and eventually, us too!). What I was saying is that we could cut off ALL trade going in/out of China with anyone, not just us. China's navy is worthless and their airforce is near-useless. All we'd have to do is air/navy blockade them and they would die on the vine very rapidly... even if the blockade wasn't 100% effective. They cannot do this to us (yet!) so its definitely not a stalemate situation. You can bet dollars to donuts that the Chi-coms know this... if they weren't aware, they'd be a lot more belligerant/bad then they are now. :thumb:

j

9. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I have said the same thing for years. Blockade them with a couple Navy carrier groups and have the Air Force instill a no fly zone over them and wait. No need for the grunts over there. Bombs missles and big naval cannons would be enough.

10. Desert Rat

The only thing is, those wack jobs would play the nuclear card. Or, they'd get their psycho lacky in North Korea to fire a few off. The Chinese don't take well to losing face.....

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

not to mention the fact that this would conveniently bring an end to the wal-mart empire. i would love that.

12. jekbrown

you must have voted for that bone-head Eric Sten. Nothing wrong with Wallyworld... and if people want to shop there, they should be free to do so. Walmart employees make more than MANY people in retail do. My wife never made the Walmart average checker pay in 6 years of retail. She never had benefits either. She worked at Target (among others) and said they treated their employees like total crap. No crying or belly-aching about Target though... wonder why... maybe because they are French owned?

I dunno... all I know is that if you can't shop at Walmart due to some kind of "they treat their workers bad" principles, then you probably can't shop at most retail locations. Where do you shop exactly? What fast food places do you go to? Me thinks guys like Sten can afford to pay $5/lb for organic-hippified bananas at Whole Foods downtown.. but us working poor certainly can't and don't want to either. Quit kicking us poor folk in the jimmy just so you can feel better about where you shop! :thumb:

j

13. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

:haha::haha::haha:

14. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

It's because I can remember Wal Mart being so proud of the fact their stuff was made in USA that they'd announce it in their commercials...to now where the only thing made in USA I can find there are the candybars. I don't like Wal Mart either....I don't go in there unless I absolutely have to.

15. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I believe the time You are referring to would be when Sam Walton was still the CEO and Chairman of the Board. The day after He died it all changed. Funny part was the stuff was much better quality and still at a cheaper price than the competitors.

16. Desert Rat

I shop at Wal-Mart all the time for oil, filters, bulbs, some camping stuff, occasional sports stuff, etc. I wouldn't be caught dead in some of their fashions, but that's just me. I've never understood the Wal-Mart bashing. Go into any Nordstrom and read all the labels. They are all from foreign countries too. Same with Macy's, Sears, Target, etc. Whoop dee ****ing doo...... If anyone was foolish enough to mandate that every single thing they ever bought was made completely in the U.S.A., they would find their shopping choices reduced by about 90%. I am a firm believer in voting with my wallet, but you have to be somewhat reasonable about it. I draw the line at things made in France though...........:D

Last edited: Jul 9, 2006
  17. jekbrown

yeah, I understand buying American is a good thing... but our economy has evolved into a service/business tech economy (like the old phrase, "buisness is our business"). Higher cost of living + unions has pretty much killed the manufacturing industry. Plenty of stuff is still made here... but there was a time, not that long ago, where you could buy almost anything you wanted and find it made in the USA. Not any more. It just doesn't make economic sense anymore. These days, cheapo stuff that can be made in Chinese sweat shops will be almost as good as quality and 1/10th the price. In the long run, that is actually a good thing for our economy.

I never knew the Walmart that was all about "our stuff is made in the USA!" because we didn't get Wallyworlds in my neck of the woods until pretty recently. That said, I love shopping there... especially for food stuffs. Even if I buy all name-brand foods there (no GV products), I save probably 40% over what other grocery stores charge. This is for the exact same stuff. I happen to like some of the great value products, so I buy some of them also. Now you're talking 50% off food cost. Thats a big deal when you make $13/hour. If you're Daddy Warbucks, and don't like Wallyworld, thats fine... go buy your food for 50% more somewhere else. Just don't tell Wallyworld where they can build, or shoppers where they can shop.

To me, the funniest thing is that people who hate Wallyworld tend to go to other places which may or may not have "better practices". If you are mad that Walmart doesn't pay their employees enough or give good enough benes... don't bother shopping at Target or K-mart or (insert major food retailer here)... because they don't either. If you don't like how Walmart treats the suppliers it buys from, you can't go to Costco either... cause rest assured, they bully their suppliers too to get lower prices on large quantities. In short, if your ideals are that much of a hang-up, you pretty much can't shop anywhere. Grocery store guy just isn't going to be making $40k a year with great benes... and if he does, that store isn't going to be super "nice" to their suppliers. I see lots of snooty rich ****ers around here that shop at the $pendy food places in Portland and such. Its hilarious... all they are doing is lining the pockets of the store owner guys (aka The Man) with their $$$$$ as they pay those super high prices. All that extra $ ain't going to the lowly shelf stocker guy, thats for dang sure. Somehow it makes these liberal elitists feel better to pay $2/lb for bananas though. lol!

j

18. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Man this post was hijacked! LOL -

I agree with you about Wallyworld though Jek - but I make the wife go there

19. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

No ****. Guess what I do for a living?

20. jekbrown

no one knows better than you do! What I think is funny is that all these Walmart haters have access to the same info/knowledge that we do (ie that other retail people are treated even worse etc) and yet they still go on their little anti-Walmart crusades. Its a little bit bizarre.

People who hate walmart fall into two camps it seems. Super poor "workers of the world unite!" types... and the rich snooty types and their policians buddies. I'll forgive the poor communists, they are always doing/saying something dumb... but the rich snooty group really peeves me off. There are signs popping up all around my 'hood that say "No Salmon Creek Walmart!" (thats the 'burb I live in). My wife and I are going to make some signs and put them up right next to them (they are on public land) that say "We (heart) Walmart / NO to snooty rich people!" It'd be a fun project. Most of the peeps that live in my area are rich as ****.. and some are idiots as well. Oh well... sign making could be something my wife and I could do together. It'd be fun. :thumb:

j