Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Take a little time to help a friend.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91gmcjimmyCH_IL, Sep 3, 2001.

1. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I replaced the left caliper to correct the car pulling right when braking. however the new caliper had no such luck in correcting this problem. whats the deal. I think i just don't know how to blead the brakes the right way. What are the correct steps to blead the brakes.

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Hey there
    Start with the right rear then left rear then right front and then left front.
    Remember to keep an eye on the fluid leval while doing this or you will have to start over again.
    Hope this helps some.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

3. Bowtied

Bowtied Registered Member

I had the same problem with mine when I first got it. I was told by a few mechanics that sometimes the brake line, the flexible rubber one from the frame rail to the caliper, goes bad and will collaps internally and block off the pressure going to that caliper.
    My advice only; try the flex line. I think that's whats ailin ya.
    And, as was said earlier, when bleeding the brakes, always start with the one farthest away from the master cylinder and work your way to the closest one. Don't know why really, I just know tha it's the preffered method.
    Hope this helps,

Bowtied

4. Dieselmh

Dieselmh 1/2 ton status

I agree with the flexible rubber brake hose. My truck did the same thing. I rebuilt the whole brake system, except for the hose, and it still did the same thing.

Diesel

Everything's bigger in Texas!

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have found the best way to bleed brakes is to hit your local parts store and they have a vacume bleed kit. It has a hand pump and a catch cup. It works well and you don't risk bottoming out the the master cylinder and damaging the seals like you do when having somebody pump the brake. Also I have not had any difficulty with the system not bleeding correctly this way when you don't press the button on the proportioning valve.
    Now your asking yourself "What button on what proportioning valve". Yes there is a button that is supose to be pressed on the end of the proportioning valve that is located on the front cross member. It has a rubber cap over it...don't remove the cap it is designed to be pressed through the cap.
    You can use a c clamp to press and hold it so that you don't need 3 people to do the job.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper