Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Take a look and heed the warning

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazy427, Jan 4, 2007.

1. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

I Ordered a Soft top 5 months ago From Specialty Top Company, after 3 months of "it will be done it 2 weeks" i canceled the order and asked for my money back.The person said no problem, so 2 weeks go buy and no refund.I call back and get the line that they are Selling the company and he doesnt know when i can have my money back. He then said that i should file a claim with my credit card company if i wanted it back.
    Unfortuanalty it was purchased on a debit card.I dont know if anyone has run into this but NEVER purchase anything online with a debit card. The bank offers no protection against fruadulant purchases or failed products. Once the money is gone.....Its gone. So Here i am now Screwed with no money or top!

So ....... Dont Buy Anything From STC , Atleast for right now and NEVER EVER Use Your Debit Card For Online purchases or anywhere out of your state!

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

This is a good thread for the Garage. Everyone needs to read feedback like this. :deal:

3. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

If they are in the middle of a sale they may not be allowed by terms of the sale to refund it. Two weeks for a refund so far is not unreasonable. I have dealt with them before and had very good service from them. I hope you get it all resolved though, that would suck. (plus I hope someone does buy them out, I need a new soft top)

4. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey there,

You need to check the rules and regs of your debit card. If the card has a Visa or Mastercard logo on it, you fall under both the bank and the credit card companies protection policies. Most banks/credit unions set a daily cap limit on debit card transactions. Any transaction under that is protected and you pay the first $50.00 and get the remainder back. If you request the limit to be raised over the banks/credit unions' set limit, you may be out on a limb and liable for it all. I learned all about this very subject when I was and still am, ordering parts in excess of $1000.00. Know the rules! It saves you a ton, and prepares you in advance of any situation like yours.

Again, this depends on your banks policies, but you should not be out the money at all. I suggest you press it!

Manny

5. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

i have replied to a post in the garage about this. i will start a new post with it there also

6. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

beleive me, hours were spent at the bank and sitting down with the manager, they will do nothing. i thought we were protected but we are not. I have since filed a police report and met with a lawer about filing charges of fruad and sueing them for the money.

It was 2 weeks before i called back to see what was goin on. It has been 2 months since i asked for a refund and at that time there was no buyer , they we just "selling the company"

7. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Do you have copies of your debit card agreement? If so, give it to your lawyer. I'm no expert on this, but I believe your bank is in error. Visa/Mastercard protection is very thorough. There are Federal Laws regarding the usage of debit cards, and many surround purchase protection. If I am in error, dude, I'm sorry this happened to you. Best wishes on getting your money back.

Manny

8. crazy427

crazy427 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info, i will do so and see what comes of it.

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

There's been many threads in the past three months regarding STC. Last communication from them was they were still in the middle of selling.
    I was actually going to call tommorow, 'cause I need to get a top, STC makes the best ones.
    Well, guess I'll wait a little longer.

10. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

I used my Bank debit card (which is a visa) to purchase some parts from a once popular engine rebuilder from Iowa, after 4 weeks of getting the run around I found out they were closing their doors, I called the place and they said to stick it, I called my bank and started a dispute, after about 6 months
    I got my money back...... I would read your paper work and go to your bank again, all debit cards I have ever seen had a Major Credit card company's
    name some where, And when it's all over get a new bank!!!

P.S.

Tell STC that they suck just for good measure

11. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah as long as you use your debit card as a credit card it is protected by the credit card company. The only time it isn't is when you have to enter your pin. At stores when they ask credit or debit when you use your card, the only difference is credit is insured through the company and debit is not, they both still come out of your bank account all the same with no extra charges, when used online it is only credit because you don't have the choice of entering your pin (or if you do, don't. because it's a trick lol:haha: ). So you should be covered.

12. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

I got a credit card with a low credit line for on-line purchases. I got nervous having my checking account tied to an on-line transaction (debit card). Pay off the card immediately and no interest payment.

I had my account frozen two years ago because I was a victim of a fraud act. I had no out of pocket loss, but shutting down my checking account because of the fraud was a major hassle. The guy that did it wrote an e-check for his mortgage using my account number. Security told me the guy was a former account holder that knew the account formats.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

That's how we do it too, with either a $250 or $500 limit card, depending on the cost of the purchase.