Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Take a look at this

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by danny7139, Aug 21, 2005.

1. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

Well with all the hype about gas prices, I decided to look up those "super efficient carbs" that supposedly disappeared when the oil companys bought the patent to them. Well I found this, http://www.get113to138mpg.com/ as it looks possible im just not sure because it looks dangerous to me. I guess what it does is turn the fuel to vapor outside of the carb or tbi then sends the vapor to a canister with magnets and a heating element or something which heats the vapor to 750 degrees then sends it to a pressure reducer then to the carb. There are cad drawings on there and diagrams so who knows? Also read the guy's story about the oil company trying to kill him and stole his 72 Pontiac that I guess gets 73 mpg. Sounds crazy but possible with how money and oil is now a days.

2. Big89Burban

Big89Burban 1/2 ton status

I think anything that increases mpg is a good thing. Although gasoline is very volitale in its current state. Superheating gasoline vapors is just asking for trouble IMO.

I like the idea of running the diesels on the fry grease from fast-food places. Although I would love to see the gas idea work.

3. jmd4x4

jmd4x4 1/2 ton status

That would make for alot of wheeling on one tank of gas. So who is going to be the one to try it :D Its over my head.

later
    jmd

4. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

5. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

6. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

im a bit skeptical about the whole idea, and the story surrounding it, but im interested nonetheless. Been google searching for a few, Ill look some more...

7. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

8. 79 blazer

79 blazer 1/2 ton status

:mad: :mad: what is horrible is that if this does work and became widely accepted and used buy the masses, the oil companys would just start charging $50 a gallon to keep there profits up :mad: :mad: :mad:

9. theitalian404

theitalian404 Registered Member

Yep, like 79 Blazer said...if this did ovetake..they'd still screw us. :mad:

10. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

11. Big89Burban

I question some of the design. Although I am not a pro by any means.

Just seems like there would be pic's of the working model that he had on his car etc. etc. You dont make something that is this "break through" and just give the plans away for free. I bet $$$ the the oil companies would have given any amount to buy the patent from you and not let the word get out about it. Also I bet the gov. would like to keep this kind of thing from getting to other countries. So I'm sure they would want to aquire it from you and perfect the design. This idea could be used for a lot of things besides just cars.

12. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i believe this is one of those gadgets that was tested in the most current Popular Mechanics.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

It doesn't really add up with basic physics. How do you consume 1/5 of the fuel just by pre-vaporizing it? One good way to vaporize fuel would be to compress and heat it. Oh wait, 4-stroke engines already do that on the compression stroke. :rolleyes: How much fuel is liquid in a hot, high pressure combustion chamber?

If you want to make a gasoline engine more efficient by that order of magnitude, you have to find a way to drastically reduce heat production or recover the heat energy someway. Gas engines produce a lot more heat energy than useable rotational power. If you use engine heat to evaporate the fuel, you still aren't consuming very much power.

If you run your engine at 14.7:1 and combust 90% of the fuel to get say, 20mpg, then what needs to be done to get 100mpg? You could try to improve the combustion efficiency and get up to 22mpg (you can't burn more than 100% of your fuel). You can't just use 1/5 of the fuel by leaning out to 73:1 because nobody knows how to make an engine fire like that. Even if it would fire, how much energy would be produced?

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

It sounds like all it does is mix air and gas alot better than current carbs or tbis. Thats all it would take.

It makes sense, just don't think it's legit. Why hasn't this guy scored a news interview?

Its not hard to draw some stuff up on autocad... the hard part is making what you drew function.

I know you can put gas on an exhaust manifold and it won't ignite but gas vapors at 750 degrees under pressure isn't something i want on top of my motor.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2005
  15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This comes up once in a while. I just have a hard time believing that it will work and that the guy is not rich as hell from the patent.

16. Big89Burban

There is only one way that I know of to run leaner and still be ok and that is with direct injection (similar to the way diesels inject fuel) but bmw 760's (v12) had this out a while and it has not improved fuel efficientcy much over what a regular injected motor gets. I think they still get like 12mpg. Yeah thats better than 8mpg but not by much!

The modern combustion engine is still just not very efficient IMO.

17. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

18. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

20. loafer

loafer 1/2 ton status

There is a lot of research right now on Ultra Lean Burn Engines, and I think they all use direct injection. They operate by leaning out the AF ratio, to as much as 30:1 if I remember right, when the engine is under light load and injecting the fuel late in the compression stroke. Another key aspect of this design is very high EGR rates (up to 40%) to keep the combustion temps. down and keep the NOX and hydrocarbons in check.

Here is a link to Mitsubishi's GDI engine:
    http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/inter/technology/GDI/page1.html