Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Take off Roof???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Glenn312, May 21, 2000.

1. Glenn312

Glenn312 Registered Member

I just bought a 1990 Full Size Jimmy SLE, and I was wondering how quickly two people can take the roof off of the truck? What tools are needed? I haven't been able to take a look at the inside of the truck yet.

2. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

You need the special wrench for the hex bolts around the inside and behind the right rear trim panel. I took mine off my 83 in about 20 minutes. Beware it is heavy! I took mine off a couple weeks ago and it has rained ever since so it has been sitting in the driveway with a tarp over it because I can't find anyone to help put it back on. It is a blast to drive with the top off! GOOD LUCK

<font color=blue>Blazerbob</font color=blue>[​IMG]

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Air tools + motivation (you and one other person) = 5 minute job. Great way to enjoy the summer!!!!!!!!!!

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Ohhh you wimp! I took the top off my 75 (bigger and heavier than a half top) by myself! I back the truck up to a low retaining wall in my back yard. I got some cinder blocks set up. Take the bolts loose and walk off the back of the truck with it on my back. Fell to my knees and colapased. crawl out from under it and crawled back to the truck and drove myself to the garage crawled inside and bitched about my back hurting :) Did get the lovely Ms Reaper to rub it for me :) Hay what are you doing in say late october early November? Might need some help getting it back on if the chiropractor can't get my back right by then, hahahah.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

5. BLzr4x4ngkid

BLzr4x4ngkid 1/2 ton status

I don't know what you guys are doing when trying to take your tops off, but all I have to do is take the bolts out and take the top off. I only run 4 bolts total for it and there is not a single leak. It makes the whole top removal a lot easier and really fast. My friend and I remove it in about 3 minutes tops. We had another guy time us. It was kind of fun. Good luck on your removal. It's a blast with them off!! Oh, if you are having trouble getting people to help you, just offer up some BEER!! HAHAHA

Alex
    Wichita, KS
    What me get stuck? NEVER!!(Famous last words)

6. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

The top is definitely heavy, but fairly easy to remove and put back on. I built a "rack" to hold my top. All it takes is four 4X4 posts, two 2X6's and two 2X4's. Put the 4X4's in the ground, nail or bolt the two 2X6's to the posts, back in between the posts, get in the back seat, lift up the front of the top and slide the 2X4 under the top on top of the 2X6's. Get in the back on the tailgate and do the same for the rear of the shell. It does help if someone else is there to slide the 2X4's under the roof because it's easier to hold up with two hands rather than one. When you want to put the top back on you just back in under the shell and let it down and replace the bolts. I replaced the stock bolts that are hard to get out with regular hex head bolts. A rack definitely helps. It will save your arms and back. Good luck.

Chevy's RULE!