Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

take off SMOG stuff?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Jul 16, 2003.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

My truck is registered in San Diego, Ca. I want to know how I can get my truck to be exempt. I think it will be legally exempt in 2009, but I can't wait. I could register it at my parents cabin in Big Bear, are there SMOG rules there? Please help me!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    My truck is registered in San Diego, Ca. I want to know how I can get my truck to be exempt. I think it will be legally exempt in 2009, but I can't wait. I could register it at my parents cabin in Big Bear, are there SMOG rules there? Please help me!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure about the smog rules but I know when I took off all my smog crap off my truck still passed emissions. You just need to tune the carb right. Funny thing was the brand new Ford Excursion in front of me FAILED and I passed with flying colors. LOL My truck had no emissions on it at all, no compressor, canister and almost all of the vac lines on my carb were plugged except the ones I needed. LMAO! The did try and fail me for a bad gas cap though, but I had a spare in the glove compartment. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

We have a visual inspection here in CA.

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think it will be legally exempt in 2009

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where did you hear this? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

There are only one or two california counties now left without smog... Trinity and Del Norte as far as I know.. everywhere else has it.
    OBD2 is now implemented in major population areas and as I understand it the dynameter testing is coming.. how about 150 bucks for a smog test? gotta love california. How about having obd3 and having your vehicle smogged by computer uplink... from your telephone... thats all coming one day
    anyway smog stuff.. you can do what I do... put it all on correctly for the test and take it off afterwards...
    but also understand there is currently rare roadside testing here in calif now and I think thats a barometer of things to come here. I know this.. I keep all my smog equipment in excellent shape as some of the stuff is getting harder and harder to get so i suggest you do the same...
    As far as the post about keeping it tuned thats great advice but as the other post said our visual exams would fail that vehicle immediately.
    The days of having a friend smog your truck or even using a different vehicle are also a thing of the past... the penalties are getting so severe that its not worth it for anyone to try that anymore...
    and the smog gurus are making it harder to cheat... ( and why should we cheat if we cant be cleaner without the smog stuff and we can get the performance)eventually the smog machines will be tied in real time including video of the vehicle...
    I put smog legal doug thorleys on with a performance cat, a carb performance carb and manifold,performance carb hei...
    the airpipes, pump easily unbolt and I have pretested it both way and the results are very close (although of course it would fail the visual)...
    I noticed you are running a 406 so you are already well into the the performance curve stuff.. Im surprised your motor would even pass with all the stuff as the testing regs are tightening each year. My truck is a carefully built 383 but it complies... not barely but really complies... but it was expensive to do it right... Theres no free ride when it comes to smog,,, although I could rent you an address up here... just kidding.. but that is an alternative if you know someone in those counties.. but eventually EVERYWHERE will get smog
    So the answer to your question is... wait until 2009... or do the best C.A.R.B. mods you can right now
    cam

6. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think it will be legally exempt in 2009

[/ QUOTE ]
    Where did you hear this? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The current CA smog law is 30 year rolling, so as soon as a vehicle hits 30 years old it is exempt. The damn liberals here were trying to get the law changed to something like 50 (insane!!!) years to get more money out of us but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

7. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You guys are lucky, in AZ all vehicles 67 and newer have to get tested.
    I wish we had the 30 year thing.
    Dan

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm sure the limit will keep changing so that only vehicles that came with virtually no emission equipment will be exempt... [​IMG]

9. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The damn liberals here were trying to get the law changed to something like 50 (insane!!!) years to get more money out of us but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was shot down, actually it was modified. Jay Leno got involved and did some work at the state capitol. Rumor has it if the senator and others in Sacramento didnt want to be part of his nightly routine, they should rethink it.
    (Jay has a massive muscle and classic car collection)
    Anyway, they kept the same requirments except if your vehicle smokes, they can call it in for inspection and test no matter how old it is.

Heres the writeup from Hagarty INS:
    FLOREZ REVERSES ON CLASSIC CAR SMOG RULES
    By VIC POLLARD, Californian Sacramento Bureau
    e-mail: vpollard@bakersfield.com
    Tuesday April 15, 2003, 10:56:17 PM

SACRAMENTO -- With Jay Leno and the rest of California's classic car buffs on his case, State Sen. Dean Florez has dropped his proposal to require smog checks for cars as old as 1958 models.

Leno, "The Tonight Show" host who has a large collection of vintage autos, personally called Florez's office to lobby against the plan.

The lawmaker was also inundated with letters, e-mails and phone calls from many other members of the highly organized hobby car community.

One of their tools was a cartoon depicting Florez in his state-leased SUV chasing classic cars out of California.
    Florez was forced to back down on the bill, one in a package of 10 bills aimed at cleaning up the air in the Central Valley, before it even got its first legislative hearing.

The bill, SB 708, isn't dead, but it has been amended to crack down on cars that emit visible smoke. Originally, it called for requiring regular smog checks and repairs for cars up to 45 model years old. If in effect this year, it would apply to cars made in 1958 or later. That would have replaced the state's existing exemption for cars older than 30 model years, which this year is 1973.

"Given all the fights we have on all the other air pollution bills," Florez said, "it wasn't going to help to push that one."

He said classic car fans made a convincing argument that most of the oldest cars on the road, while they may be some of the worst polluters, aren't usually driven to and from work daily.

"We told the classic car folks that we're going to continue to talk to them," Florez continued, "but that was just too much of a detailed type of proposal."

Florez's legislative aide, Michael Rubio, said Leno called after reading a newspaper article about the smog bills.
    " He said he wanted to know what the deal was with (SB) 708," Rubio said. "Several days later, he called back and said, 'You've got me thinking now.' And I said 'Can I start at the beginning?'"

He said Leno listened carefully and discussed his thoughts on the smog problem and the bill at some length, urging Florez to carefully distinguish between older cars that are driven for basic transportation and those that are merely exhibited most of the time.

Other problems, he said, are the difficulty of getting repair parts for older cars and the fact that emission controls were not mandated on cars until the late 1960s.

The same arguments were made by the classic car community's chief lobbyist, Steve McDonald of the Special Equipment Marketing Association, a trade group of manufacturers, retailers, publishers and restorers.

"Obviously we're thrilled that the senator has agreed to modify the legislation and refocus the target on what we believe is a more effective one, that being smoking vehicles," McDonald said.

So are hobbyists like Jan VanderPool of Bakersfield, who, with his fiancée, owns three vintage Ford Mustangs.
    " That's definitely a big relief to me," he said.

VanderPool said it took years and a lot of effort to get the rolling exemption from smog checks for cars that are more than 30 years old enacted in 1997.

Florez and his staff appeared surprised, if not shellshocked, at the size and aggressiveness of the lobbying campaign against the smog check proposal.

But it was no surprise to VanderPool, who has been through similar drills before when legislation was proposed that helped or hurt car hobbyists.

"A lot of us have had to get pretty political," he said. "We've had to get active and kind of watch our backs."