Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Take the Cam challenge...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by chevyfumes, Feb 1, 2006.

1. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

OK Cam, build a recipe for a 5 day period and lets see how many of us can stick to it and see what we think of your healthy alternative lifestyle....I forsee the stench of soybeans in my future...:haha:

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

no meat or no meat and cheese?

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's up to Cam he'll make the menu...

4. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

vegetarian, maybe. vegan, I'll pass

5. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

oh come on 5 days????

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

What's the difference?

7. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

is beer considered vegan?

could do that for 5 days.

other than that im out too.

veggie maybe.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Vegan is bascially no animal products at all. I.e. no eggs, milk, cheese, obviously the meat. If it has a face or comes from something that has a face they don't eat it. Vegetarian is generally no meat, however I know some that say they are vegetarian but eat fish and chicken. They just dont eat red meat or pork. That is the way I understand it if I am wrong inform me:D .

Ira

9. cbbr

Well, now that it has been explained, I would say that it's ok. I have had it change the way a face looks, but it does not come from anything with a face.

10. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

my wife has a face,,,,I'm out,,:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

you had to know this was coming,,,,,,,,

11. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

no guidelines cam?
    only eat grass for 5 days?
    :)

12. bigjbear

Alright, if Cam doesn't want to play we will do it ourselves. Come up with a couple days worth of meals and post them. We go vegetarian Monday, the 6th through Friday, the 10th. Who's in? If you want to go full on vegan that is up to you. I'm going with what my family considers vegetarian; no beef, pork, chicken, eggs, turkey, goose, lamb, goat, rabbit, or similar. Milk, cheese, and fish are OK.

Day #1
    oatmeal w/ raisins, brown sugar, & milk
    juice

fake chicken patty (soy) on a bun w/ pepper-jack cheese
    chips n salsa
    diet mt dew

eggplant parmigiana w/ spaghetti & marinara sauce
    side salad
    Chianti (red wine)

13. bigjbear

Day #2

2 slices toast w/ butter & jelly
    fruit
    juice

PB&J
    chips
    apple
    cheese & crackers
    sweet tea

cheese quesadilla w/ peppers, mushrooms, & onions
    chips guacamole
    black beans
    rice w/ saffron
    dos xx (mexican beer)

14. cbbr

Day 2 looks about like any normal day might for me. That fake chicken hing on day 1 would be a bit different though.

15. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

WOW,,,,

I cant believe my eyes when I stumbled across this post this morning....

The fact that some hard drivin', alcohol imbibing, cigar smoking, ass kicking, 4 wheeling, meat eatin.. MEN... would even write such a post warms my little heart.... and makes me realize more than a few of you do have consciousness...

I would LOVE to accept this challenge... being the ultimate non believer I doubt however anyone would truely DO what I perscribed... I equate it to trying to teach someone to weld over the internet... its a little more than words on a page...

However that being said perhaps I could give a couple of suggestions that one or two of you might try...

Instead of giving out some "radical" information how about I provide some suggestions for just TRYING one product... if anyone of you do then you can report back on it.... like "it tasted like dog food" it didnt have a taste":it tasted pretty good" "I could/couldnt eat it again"

Travelling around the country this year in the v3500 with wifey, dogs and a parrot named tango I realized that "healthy living" certainly seems geographic... for example when I was hitting the truck stops in Montana all I saw was hot dogs and slim jims and very little fresh food (how do you guys in the heartland live without fresh food in the winter anyway.... yuck on the trucked stuff).... I would look in the yellow pages of places we stopped and see how many health food groceries there were and or how many fitness/gyms the town had... that would seem to tell me what kind of "fitness consciousness" a place had. (It also seems that "natural foods" are used more by the wealthy, who buy into the fitness craze... so when an area was depressed financially, such as some places we saw in mississippi where people seemed to only eat off brand canned foods and meat... we would see didfferent eating habits) Living in California being a vegan isnt considered unusual,, yep theres a bunch of nuts out here,,,,literlaly.... perhaps warmer climates make it easier to vegan survive because there is so much fresh stuff to choose form.

Eating healthy isnt necessarily more expensive...especially if you factor in the cost of PERSONAL health for life..... if you make alot of your food... (my wife makes tofu/soymilk and we make all our own bread) it can be on par with "regular" food.... we can make tofu for pennies compared to what it is sold for in the supermarkets,,, so like everything there is a huge markup on "natural foods"....

Eating naturally also doesnt mean having to buy food at a "health food/organic grocery"
    I think for anyone considering a more healthy lifestyle the beggining is just trying to remove some of the BAD STUFF out of your diet... youre all adults.. we know... from early on.. whats good and bad for us...
    carrots sticks..good... cheetos...bad... apple slices-good.... Mrs Smiths Aplle Pies-bad.... Boca Burger-good, Double Whooper--way bad

anything with high saturated fat/high urea causing/chemical laden.... (sorry guys that includes most if not all animal flesh.. no matter what propoganda youve read or heard) is not good for you IF ITS the staple of your diet..

Research shows that MOST americans could be healthier if they just reduced/eliminated animal flesh consumption in their diet... and I dont think anyone here would dispute that... For those of you watching your cholesterol the added benefit is that there is NO,, ZERO,,NADA,, cholesterol in plant products... its ONLY found in ANIMAL products...

Im going to see where this thread goes... then Ill add some more input

I would like to live along time... but more importantly I want to be healthy and burn brightly while Im here

Power to the vegan four wheelers... and yes I wont be happy until the v truck gets 20 mpg
    cam

16. bigjbear

Day #3
    honey-nut Cheerios
    banana
    juice

mac & cheese
    sliced peppers
    black olives
    diet mt dew

-grilled salmon fillet w/ sauce
    (for 3 fillets: 2 tbs teriyaki sauce, 2 tbs sesame oil, 2 tbs minced cilantro, 1 tbs roasted garlic, 1 tbs ground ginger. coat fillets, let sit 10 min, grill about 5 min per side)
    -veg fried rice
    (1 cup uncooked rice, 1 tbs butter, 2 tbs sesame oil, soy sauce, season salt, watter, chopped onions, sliced carrots, frozen peas. heat oil & butter in a skillet-preferably cast iron- add rice cook about 5 min, add water per instructions along with season salt,chopped onions, sliced carrots, frozen peas, & soy sauce. Cook until tender, stirring frequently, add more soy sauce/season salt to taste.)
    side salad
    pino gris (white wine)

17. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Ok then whats the new thing to try Tofu instead of a burger?

18. bigjbear

Hey, hey, he checked in while I was typing.

I know my "day 3" supper won't do it for you with the fish, but I can only go go so far. So how about those ideas? Someone else give us a day.

19. cbbr

Boca-Burgers. I've had them and they are actually ok. No real comparison to an actual hamburger, but not bad.

20. bigjbear

If you don't try & pretend they are beef they are not bad. If you think they are going to tase like beef you will be disapointed. I think the "chicken" ones are good, though.