Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Take the free radiator, or buy a new one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by The Butcher, Sep 20, 2005.

1. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I need to put a new radiator in my '90 K5. A buddy of mine has a radiator at his shop that is essentially the same dimensions as the one in my Blazer (It looks like it came out of a late model chevy truck or suburban), but it looks almost new. It is the same height, depth, and length within a 1/2" or so as mine, and we could easily make it fit. And it is free. Currently I have a 350, but may eventually swap in a 454. Do you think I should just drop this one in (and will it be sufficient for a big-block later), or should I go ahead and spring for a new one that will work with a bb later?

He wants to order an electric fan (he says the ones from the late model mustangs work really well) and put that on as well (which I don't mind b/c the a/c doesn't work worth a poop when I'm sitting in traffic on a hot day). Think a bb radiator and an electric fan will all fit in there? My K5 has a 3" body lift, so it looks like there is all kinds of room in there.

Thanks

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If its been used, I'd get it flow tested before trying to use it. Appearance (even what you can see inside of it) and length of use mean NOTHING when talking about a radiator that may not have been taken care of properly.

If it's free, I don't see a reason not to take it, if it doesn't cool the other motor when you put it in, THEN pony up for a new one.

Radiators aren't but around $150 new, so if you have to buy this one, it may be best to just get a BB radiator now and keep it in good shape.

I wouldn't spend my time on anything other than the Windstar electric fans at this point. The install has been written up here, for these trucks, and they are KNOWN to work in pretty much any application they are used in, at least that I've seen. I'd stick with a known product like this as opposed to something that may or may not be equivalent. Besides, the Windstar fans are a very close fit.

3. senatorwoodhouse

senatorwoodhouse 1/2 ton status

You dont need an electric fan, I run a stock fan w/ my 454 in my 78 k5

oh yeah take the free radiator, try that out before buying a new one

4. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I want to run the electric fan on it b/c the 3" bodylift made the fan shroud pointless, so the electric fan would help. Plus, the a/c doesn't cool well when sitting in traffic, so I figured the electric fan would help keep the air moving and the a/c working better. Any suggestions as to where (and which) bb radiator I should buy?

The free one worked fine when he pulled it out of the original truck, and it has sat outside in the corner since then. I figured I would flush the hell out of it and then put it in. But, I hate doing things twice, so that is why I am thinking about just getting the bb radiator and electric fan right now.

Do you suggest the Windstar fans over something like Flex-a-lite? Which model? One fan or two? I live in Houston, Tx and it gets hot as hell here in the summer. Not Arizona hot, but 95-100 degree days are pretty common during the summer months.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Windstar would be my choice over aftermarket. Undercooling with aftermarket electric fans is a pretty typical problem. People apparently underestimate the CFM they need to move. There are lots of different CFM fans out there, but the Windstar fans work. Probably cheaper too.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

a/c.... what is this a/c you speak of???
    :D