Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Takes Two Turns of the Key to Start

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87K54WD, Mar 30, 2001.

1. 87K54WD

87K54WD 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering if there were any ideas or thoughts on this. When the truck sits overnight or say a 9 hr day at work, it takes 2 turns of the key to start the truck (starts on the 2nd turn). It has always done this according to my uncle who bought the truck new. The truck starts on the first turn of the key if it has been running within about 2-3 hrs. The truck is fuel injected. No engine problems otherwise. Battery, plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, fuel filter, and fuel pump are all fine. It's not a big deal but I was just wondering why it takes two turns of the key on a cold start. I can make it start the first time if I keep the key engaged for a few seconds more but I hate doing this especially with cold starts and no oil being circulated. My thought was that it might be the external coil (not on the dist cap) or the starter? I don't really think it is the starter because it starts up with no problem if it hasn't been sitting for more than say around 4 hours or so. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions. Again, once the truck is started it runs great with no problems. It has a 350 4 bolt main .... manual tranny (SM465).

2. StoneyK5

StoneyK5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a carb problem, maybe time for a rebuild?

83K5 Silverado
    What was that bump?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Stoney, the truck is fuel injected...

I had an 88 GMC pick-up that was like that from new, the only theory I had was maybe the fuel pressure in the lines drops down over time so it takes a little more cranking after its been sitting. I had mine into GM a few times and nothing was ever said that this was abnormal, but I wasn't really complaining.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Usually one of 2 things.... the Fuel pressure rely (which I believe is internal in these applications... so would be better to get a reamn/bored out TBI from turbo city for about $250or a rebuild kit for the tbi unit) or your injector or injectors could be leaking. I have noticed that TBI trucks tend to take a bit longer to start as they age, but nothing more then about 3 seconds or so... also watch for a puff of grey or black smoke coming out the tail pipe on the cold start...

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Question then..if the line pressure drops, does not turning the key to the "run" position start the fuel pump, and bring the line pressure up to normal? I would suggest letting the truck sit for 2-5 seconds with the key in the run position before hitting start and see what happens.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep, key on engages the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds. Switch the key on with the radio off and listen carefully and you'll hear the buzz of the pump as it turns on and then off.

My '91 S-Jimmy and the '94 Suburban have the same tendency to take longer to fire after they have sat for a long while. I just figured that the fuel in the intake has evaporated and it takes a while for new fuel to get from the TBI to the cylinders. With a carb you usually hit the throttle once to set the choke, which also shoots a nice fresh stream of gas out of the accellerator pump. I just stay on the starter a tad longer rather than hitting the started twice.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

How is the starter? Mine pepped up and actually acted like it was injected when I replaced it.

[​IMG] Dont steal my truck..I dont need anymore worthless junk over my fireplace.

8. Glenn

Glenn Registered Member

When I start my 87 Blazer I always wait for the fuel pump to shut off before I turn the key. If I don`t it cranks longer than I would like it. After I wait it always starts up right away no matter when I start it. It usually sits six months out of the year too. The fuel just runs out of the line back into the tank when it sits to long is all. Don`t worry about it.

9. lowlevell

lowlevell 1/2 ton status

My 87' TBI 305 Blazer did this, and my 89' TBI 350 Burb do this. Both vehicles are/were in prime running condition. I just figure it has something to do with the TBI setup :/

One From None