Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Takin it off...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by RustBuket, May 9, 2004.

1. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well since gas prices are up to $.90/litre I'm wondering how I can improve my mileage a little. I know about pressure in tires and take as little extra crap as possible and drive decent but what else? I have a 305 that was recently rebuilt and timed. I am planning on getting a vaccuum gauge to tune the carb as well. I was wondering what I could remove to make the beast a little lighter? Its an 81 k5 btw.

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

The remove the rear seat, only fill up to half a tank of gas, remove the hard top, chop the cab off ... wait, you might get a bad case of frost bite where you live. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Theoretically , every 100 pounds removed is a 1/10th of a second in a 1/4 mile. So
    if that holds true, and engine stays the same , you should see mileage increase as
    engine does not have to work as hard. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well you see, the back seat it important.... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif and the top is coming off later this summer when it gets warmer. Its still going below zero (celcius) at night, /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif