Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Takin out the 700R4, tonight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PetaKane, Sep 29, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Found a 400, I'm too impatient to wait till my next day off to do this project. Never taken a tranny out by myself and never taken this one out. I see, 2 bolts on each side of the engine block, 2 bolts on each side of the crossmember, shifter linkage, and a few lines going to the tranny. I just take those off, remove driveshafts and I can then lower then tranny/t-case correct? Looks like the starter may have to ubolt as well? Oh yeah, how do I get the flywheel to separate from the motor, just pull the tranny back a couple inches before lowering, correct? Thanks and wish me luck I'll sure need it.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

ok there are 6 bolts tranny to block 2 top 2 middle 2 bottom (should be 9/16 or 5/8) 2 boltes each side crossmember(should be 9/16) 2 bolts tranny mount(11/16 or 3/4) 2 cooler lines(1/2) 2 bolts starter(9/16) 4 bolts for the dust cover (7/16)(covers the flywheel) 4 converter bolts(1/2) (holds converter to flywheel you will need to spin the flywheel to get to all 4) unscrew speedomiter cable unplug all electrical wires 4 nutes front drive line(1/2) 4 nuts or bolts for rear driveline(1/2) (providing this is a slip yoke rear drive line) disconect shift linkage
    hope this helps

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it should go something like this first disconect the battery then jackup and support the truck. then take starter lose 2 bolts then take inspection cover or dust cover off 4 bolts then the 4 converter bolts then shift likage and transfer case shifter then kickdown cable then unplug any electrical plugins then the speedo cable then the drivelines then the bottom 4 bellhousing bolts put jack under tranny then the 4 crossmember bolts and the 2 tranny mount bolts lower slightly till top 2 tranny bolts are acssesible(sp?) take them out and slowly pull tranny back and lower tranny down
    hope this helps some /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah!!! Sounds like you've got that down! I think I can do it all, except for one thing, how do you take the transfer case shifter out? I don't see anyway possible, lol I'm prolly overlookin the place to disconnect it. Thanks again

5. jeffro

jeffro 1/2 ton status

remove that big-a$$ed shoulder bolt.