Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking 6" lift off

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, Dec 17, 2006.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My ol man has a 98 2500HD, 454, 4l80, 14ff rear, and has a Pro Comp 6" lift with 35s. For whatever reason he bought the truck, now he is bitching about gas mileage. Go figure. He wants to take the lift off and run stock size tires then put a plow on the truck. Looking at it breifly, looks like we should be able to just unbolt the lift to put it back to stock. Is there any reason why it shouldnt just unbolt, or is he pretty much fooked?? He will sellt he lift, and the 35x12.5x18 Cooper STTs on 18x9 chrome Eagles, if anyone is interested.

2. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Given the 454 i dont think its going to help much...

It all depends on the kit. Some kits require you tocut some brackets, some dont.get under and look. Or look up the installation instructions. So long as the stock parts are there too...

3. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

Also check all of your linkage (i.e. shifters, wires, so on). Make sure you have all the appropriate parts needed to undo the lift...

4. b454rat

It needs a starter, fuel pump and tank, so it ain't going nowhere!!! Only thing that I noticed that was "customized" was the driver side down pipe to clear the driveshaft. I'll havta take a closer look at and see if any mounts or anything cut tweeked or whatever.

5. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

Drivers side mount for the diff is usually cut back and a plate welded in. Going back to stock is a no-go.

6. ghostrider32

ghostrider32 1/2 ton status

WRONG PRO COMP MAKES A REPLACEMENT BRACKET TO RETURN A LIFTED TRUCK TO STOCK HEIGHT.CONTACT PRO COMP AND TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE WANTING TO DO AND THEY CAN GET YOU THE PARTS. AS FAR AS THE MILEAGE FORGET IT IT WILL NOT HELP DROPING IT

7. b454rat

I'll look at that bracket and see if it's been cut. I know bout the mileage, but he doesn't. I told him to fix what is wrong with it and sell it. It actually doens't get that bad of mileage now, but it still has the stock gearing in it. Has 3.73s,, needs at least 4.10s. Not a bad looking truck, but still don't know why the he!! he bought it...

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Has he corrected the speedometer to show the right speed and distance with the new tires? If not, his mileage is way better than the numbers would indicate.

9. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

No need to YELL!!! I said "usually".