Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking a 1-ton and making it a 3/4 ton is.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jun 27, 2006.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

getting to be a pain in my arse. Apparently I should have grabbed some leaf springs out of the JY since the ones on my M1008 are too wide for the D44. I had to get a JY steering arm, new brake calipers and pads, and now I have to get some front springs for this thing just so I can move it out of the driveway:doah: I should have just bought a D60 and matching 14ff to put in my K5 instead of this route............

Alright my bitch session is over. Feel free to throw in your comments:D

2. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

lol i guess it just depends on how much you end up getting for the m1008 when your done. I think by the time I finished getting my 60 under my front end it had cost me $1800cnd. I paid $1200 for the axle but it had the perches and shock tabs ground off for the guys link set-up so that was 4 bills at the machine shop and then the king pin rebuild kit and new calipers etc.

Oh well the piece of mind is worth every penny :D

3. stallion85

Werd!

Is your rig going to be ready for the Bash, max?

4. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

Thats what I'm shooting for. Only about $18000 more dollars to go lol.

I need to stay in the bush and work a couple of 5 week hitches to afford it but it'll happen. My new oil rig I'm on is non-camp so that means an extra $125 a day (tax free) sub pay on top of my wage. So I figure with the hotel costing me $240 a week and shopping for food at costco I should be able to dump a lot more into the truck now.

I figure this build is costing me about $32000 in total :crazy: :doah:

I never figured buying a k5 would end up costing me so much money...

5. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

ummmmmmm the springs are ALL 3" wide, 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton and 1 ton...

6. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not so, mine were 2.5" wide. I had the same problem with my 44, I just "made them fit".:D Ubolts were angled bad, but they held, and I even drove it like that.

7. stallion85

The first pick is the front springs for the M1008, the second set is some 52" 1/2 ton rear springs.........there is a 1/4" difference there.

DSC01418.JPG

DSC01419.JPG

8. stallion85

Well I found out a few things today at the JY when I went to get some front springs. I looked at a few trucks 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton and they all had the same spring width as my M1008 which is 2 3/4". Then I went and looked at a couple K5's there and there front springs were 2 1/2". So before I started to slave away in the Hot Vegas summer with no impact gun, I had an idea to measure the spring plates........

Wouldn't you know it they were the same size? One thing I did notice on the K5 compared to the trucks is that the gap between the u bolts in the springs were obviously closer.

So I am now back here at home waiting for my bud to get off work so I can get those spring plates and see if this works.

I also had to change the rubber brake lines to the calipers. The ones for a D60 caliper are square headed and the ones for a 10 bolt are the rounded ones. Luckily I kept the stock ones off the K5 and just put those on.

Hopefully by tonight I will at least have the axle mounted and everything else but the brakes bleed...........The last pic is my work motivator:D

DSC01420.JPG

DSC01422.JPG

DSC01425.JPG

DSC01426.JPG

DSC01427.JPG

9. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The stock front spring width on my SRW 1-ton crew cab is 2-1/2" (8,800 GVWR), but the stock front spring width on my DRW 1-ton is 3" (10,000 GVWR).

10. stallion85

I dunno about this one, maybe because it's under a diesel???

11. stallion85

Just in case anyone cares I got the 8 lug D44 finally bolted up tonight with a little help from my bud. Tomorrow I will bleed the brakes then take her for a test spin. The shocks on this rig are SHOT!!!! I can move them up and down with ease!!!!

I don't think I will even bother with them since I have decided to sell it.......