Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Taking a poll, trans temperature on 700R4

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Jun 14, 2003.

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif I would like to take a poll of what everyone with guages in their transmission oil pan runs for temperature on average?<FORM METHOD=POST ACTION="http://coloradok5.com/forums/dopoll.php"><INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN NAME="pollname" VALUE="1055593860Rick Fernald">

Trans temperature100-125, 125-150, 150-180,180-210,210-240

1. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

trans temp for an automatice should only be slight higher than that of your coolant. since it is cooled through your radiator. 250 degrees is the max and shouldnt be run all the time. the cooler the better.

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Basically i'm DQ'd on this, as i don't have the sensor in the pan, but (per the B&amp;M instructions &amp; local tranny shoppe advice), mine's on the 'return from cooler' line. (they said that's what's feeding the tranny and really the more essential temp, it does it's job &amp; gathers heat, but when it comes around again is it warm/hot/super-hot/or SMOKIN.. or so's they explained it...).
    Anyway, mine NORMALLY runs @ about 100. Engine runs VERY cool as well since adding the 4 row radiator. (routing is tranny to rad-tank to cooler and back).
    It will, on the right day, running the A/C, pulling the Grand Hotel behind me, get up to near 200 on occassion and that's when i start backing off on the load it's carrying!

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

I've been doing some reading at Bow-Tie overdrives, and 'their' suggestion for the T-700 is to put the sensor in the pan, and the 700 shouldn't see temps above 150 degrees....

4. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

If the temps are getting above this, then they suggest fixing your cooling to keep it there....

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

How did you post anonymously??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

6. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

good question, i didnt catch that

7. bassmannh

bassmannh Registered Member

My origional posting had a problem with my new membership,when I origionally signed up as a newbie only for a couple of days I had My screen name,when I upgraded to full membership it put my full name on the post, I emailed CK5 and asked them how to change this back they deleted my name and put back my screenname on my new postings. MY screenname is "mrbassmanNH"as you guys might have guessed I am very into bass fishing ,and "wheelin". I work as a heavy equipment mechanic for a large truck fleet and love makin em bigger,better,faster, stronger.Have been loking at k5 for about a year and have really gotten to like it. Just signed on for full membership a couple of days ago. Really like this forum.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Mine normally runs about 150.

When it climbs to 180 (usually happens when t.c. unlocks on the freeway) I like to take it easy (let the t.c. lock back up) until it goes back to 150.

--The above figures are with an external aux. cooler and an autometer tranny temp gauge with the sender mounted in the pan.

9. Lance

Lance 1/2 ton status

I have the BTO stage III tranny. Sensor is in pan and cooling lines are run from the tranny to the radiator and then from the radiator to a 28,000 GVW B&amp;M cooler and back to the tranny. My temps stay in the 150-160 range.

As far as the cooler line/tranny pan temp sender location debate, it seems since the torque converter generates the most heat in your tranny and thus heats up the fluid. I believe it is more beneficial to have your sender in the pan near the TC to determine if it is slipping and generating too much auto-tranny destroying heat.

My .02. Where's my change? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

In the 700, the TC is the last thing the fluid passes through before going out the cooling line. I guess that's why I have my temp sensor mounted in the cooling send line, to see how hot it's coming out of the tranny. This usually reads 140 or 150, I think, with a B&amp;M gauge. I also have a mechanical gauge with the sensor in the back of the pan. This one never moves, so it's probably broken. The only time I ever saw it move from the minimum position was when my TC lockup clutch broke. The line out gauge went up to 240 or 250 and the pan gauge went up to about 200. The only reason I still have that crappy pan gauge is that I use the sender as a drain plug. It is really a water temp gauge from Autozone. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif