Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

taking apart brakes, 14bff

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Mar 14, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

My rear driver side tire locks up when i brake. I'm almost positive its due to being dirty. Its a 14bolt ff, how do I go about taking the drum off and getting everything cleaned up?
    Thanks

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

It's pretty much a pain in the ass. First thing is put it on jack stands....but you knew that already.

Remove the tire. Remove the 8 bolts that hold the axle in. Pull the axle out. You're gonna need a special hub socket like ya do for the front hub nut. Pretty sure you can get it at Napa. Pull the hub aprt...pretty much the same as a front hub..the big hub nut, lock ring thing, and another big hub nut, then the bearing comes out...watch out...the drum can fall down a bit too. Grab the drum and pull it off the spindle...It's a heavy bitch though. Thats it. Pretty simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Time consuming though.

3. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Depends on the age of your 14bolt too. What KidJethro described is what I had to do with mine too. But, I understand the newer ones have a two piece brake drum setup where you can take the drum off without removing all that stuff. You'll have to see which Corp14 you have.

4. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's pretty much a pain in the ass. First thing is put it on jack stands....but you knew that already.

Remove the tire. Remove the 8 bolts that hold the axle in. Pull the axle out. You're gonna need a special hub socket like ya do for the front hub nut. Pretty sure you can get it at Napa. Pull the hub aprt...pretty much the same as a front hub..the big hub nut, lock ring thing, and another big hub nut, then the bearing comes out...watch out...the drum can fall down a bit too. Grab the drum and pull it off the spindle...It's a heavy bitch though. Thats it. Pretty simple. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Time consuming though.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not on all 14bff kid some of them both bearing come out from the inside of the hub/ drum unit.