Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

taking apart manual hub - need some help purty please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by amm888, Apr 22, 2003.

1. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i just pulled out the snapring, and now i don't know what to pull out. nothing seems to be coming out. i've got the chilton's manual, but the pics in there are completely different from my truck - i think i have an aftermarket manual hub.

i'm just trying to get the hub off so i can replace some stripped bolts.

pics of where i'm at:
    pic 1 pic 2

2. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

Did you take off the large snap ring that is on the inside of the hub? It snaps into a groove on the inside diameter of the hub.

You will need some small screwdrivers or picks. Find the ends and just dig it out. Careful, there is a spring behind everything and it may just fall out ...... don't let it fall in the sand!!

3. CenTxk5blazer

CenTxk5blazer Registered Member

did you remove the lock ring? its located just inside the opening in a recessed crevasse in the hub.

Otherwise the outer gear drive , silver gear in pic, should slide out by jiggling it.

Looks similar to mine but not sure.

4. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i removed the snapring...is that the same as the lock ring? is the lock ring in the very center hole? i can't see in there...

and the silver gear that should slide out, is that the thing in the pic on the very outside? (or second to the VERY outside)

-thanks for the help guys

5. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem as you the first time. There are two snap rings. One that snaps on to the end of the shaft. The second is hard to see and is on the inside of the tube about 1 inch in. Run your finger along the inside of the tube and you will feel it.

Like previous posters said, it takes a little time to pry out.

Kent

6. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

the silver ring doesn't budge (i can push it forward a bit, but i can't jiggle it from side to side)

7. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

alright, i'll give that a try...

8. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

ok, i see an outer snapring now (around the silver ring in the pic), but it seems to be behind some inner lip. i'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to get it out.

i have snapring plyers but they're useless for this ring because of the lip (it seems like i need to compress the the ring to get it out from that lip)

any suggestions? is this really the thing i need to get out?

9. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, i see an outer snapring now (around the silver ring in the pic), but it seems to be behind some inner lip. i'm having quite a bit of trouble trying to get it out.

i have snapring plyers but they're useless for this ring because of the lip (it seems like i need to compress the the ring to get it out from that lip)

any suggestions? is this really the thing i need to get out?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it's a little bugger to get out.

"You will need some small screwdrivers or picks. Find the ends and just dig it out. Careful, there is a spring behind everything and it may just fall out ...... don't let it fall in the sand!!"

10. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

That snapring is a b1tch without the right kind of pliers. You can do it with screwdrivers, but you might need 4 hands. The trick is to hold one end in place with screwdriver #1 to keep the ring from spinning in the groove. Then, pry the other end of the snapring (right next to screwdriver #1) out of the groove with screwdriver #2. Then work screwdriver #2 around. When the end of the ring that you pried out with screwdriver #2 is threatening to pop back into the groove, put screwdriver #3 in to keep it out. Kind of like taking a high-pressure bike tire off a racing rim with tire levers, just keep working around adding screwdrivers until you get all the way to screwdriver #1, then either the snapring will pop out or you'll be able to grab it with a pair of needlenose pliers.

cheers,
    Kevin

11. amm888

amm888 1/2 ton status

i got it out! (and all the insides spring launched into my lap)

thanks all for the help.

anyone know what size axle nut socket to use next? i've got a 34mm and that's WAY too small.

12. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

You will need to get a spindle nut socket.

It looks like this:

[​IMG]

Any auto parts store SHOULD have one. It's the same animal for d44 and 10-bolts.

In a pinch, you could use a chisel ....... but I wouldn't recommend it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. fredekr

fredekr Registered Member

Yeah, what goober said. Slide off the bearing adjustment lockring if you can't yet see where that socket shown above goes.

And I second the chisel and hammer, if you're feeling lucky /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

cheers,
    Kevin